Religious Studies
Course
RELI 108
Professor
Paul Morris
Semester
Spring

Description
Introduction to Religious Studies What is Religion? There is no single religion. Religion is a scholarly category. There are religions but no religion. Osama Bin Laden (1957-2011) and George W. Bush both put religion first. 9/11 put religion on the agenda. Religion? St Augustine (354-430AD) “For what is time? Who can easily and briefly explain it? Who even in thought can comprehend it, even to the pronouncing of the word concerning it? What then is time? If no one ask of me I know; if I wish to explain to him what it is, I know not.” One type of religion is the truth, everything else is religion eg. Christianity is the truth, everything else is religion ie not true. Substantivist “Religion is belief in supernatural beings”- exclusivist. Usual Christian or Muslim understandings. Cuts out many religions which have no supernatural beings. Functionalist Look not at content but at the way that ideologies and practices function in various contexts to provide an overarching structure of meaning in everyday social life. Often expand ‘religionn’ by including ideologies such as Marxism. Essentialist Substantivist + functionalist ar
More Less

Related notes for RELI 108

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit