Greek art L1

2 Pages

Department
Classical Studies, Greek and Latin
Course Code
CLAS 102
Professor
Dr Diana Burton

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Greek art, myth and culture Lecture 1 Problems with Greek art Dating: -Nothing has a precise date. -Relative dating- dating art works based on similar pieces. -Absolute dating -Pottery dated within a decade -Dates are always approx Athenocentricity: -Making Athens the centre of the world -Athens was different to the rest of Greece so cannot be used to judge Greek art as a whole Geometric Sub-Mycenean ware C 1100-1000 BC Greeks dropped into a ‘dark age’ 300 year struggle for survival. They forgot both their own language and how to create art works. The population of Greece dropped 75% as the people lost their creativity and focused more on basic actions that would preserve their lives. Vases appeared in graves, but it is unknown what they are. Protogeometric ware c. 1000-900BC Decoration is more careful, the lines are drawn straight and even; there is more decoration on the vases. The artists have begun to think about the shape of the vase and match their decoration to it, highlighting the features. Vases used as urns. The people were buried where they were burnt, unlike later on when there were graveyards outside the city limits. Burial was a status symbol for the living; the wealthy buried vases and other expensive goods with their dead to impress the aristocrats and show their status. Ash urns were gender based: Belly handled amphora were given to dead
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit