Premium

2 Pages

Department
Geology
Course Code
GLY-1103
Professor
Brian Zimmer

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Streams and Flooding Rivers only hold 0.0002 of all water Drainage Basin (watershed) the source region from which a stream draws its water Divide ridge or crest that separates drainage basins from one another Runoff precipitation that moves across the ground to enter streams InfiltrationPercolation absorption and movement of precipitation or surface water into ground water Headwaters where streams begin Base Level endpoint of water or stream Discharge volume of water moving past a point in a stream in 1 second Q=WDV Q= discharge W=width D=depth V=velocity The fastest part of the stream is called the Thalweg There is more friction in wider, shallower streams Gradient= riserun Percent Slope= riserun x 100 The gradient is typically the steepest near the headwaters and the shallowest towards base level Energy changes from source to base level Affects sorting affects rate of downcutting or aggradation Traction Load (Bed Load) heavy debris rolled, pushed, or dragged across the stream floor Suspended Load material suspended by turbulence of the stream Dissolved Load material completely dissolved into the water Shape of stream is also related to the type of material being cut into Bedrock= steep sides Soft Sediments= Vshaped When riverstream velocity drops to zero, all remaining drops out and it forms a delta Progradation the river deposits sediments faster than the sea is able to remove them, so the delta grows outward into the sea Aggradation the river deposits build up via overbank flooding accumulation of biotic remains etc., it grows upward Transgression the retreat of the delta, usually by the loss of sediment caused by continued wave attack or the reduction of nourishment soils
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit