Premium

4 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSY-2213
Professor
Andrew Smith

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
explanation for obedience
situational obligation
social norms to obey authority
loss of responsibility for participant
escalating commitment
obedience started small
related to the foot-in-the-door technique for persuasion
replicated the milligram study
70% of the participants went up to the 150 volts compared to 80%
men =67% women = 72%
obedience was not related to age, ethnicity, and other demographics variables
obedience not related to empathetic concern or desire for control
however, correlation between empathy and needing prods to continue
Social Roles
being in a group influences behavior through:
social norms: “rules” a group has for acceptable behaviors, values, and
beliefs of its members
obedience to authority, reciprocity
social roles: expectations about how specific group members should
behave
people change behavior to match expectations of roles
can be intentional or unintentional (automatic)
examples:
hanging out with friends
hanging out with family
hanging out with boss
people can shift in and out of these roles
Stanford prison study
participants knew (somewhat) what they were volunteering for
experiment about a prison simulation
experiment only ended up lasting a few days
the participants quickly assumed their “assigned” roles:
many of the guards become quite abusive, harassing and
humiliating the prisoner
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com • explanation for obedience ◦ situational obligation ▪ social norms to obey authority • loss of responsibility for participant • escalating commitment ◦ obedience started small ◦ related to the foot-in-the-door technique for persuasion • replicated the milligram study ◦ 70% of the participants went up to the 150 volts compared to 80% ◦ men =67% women = 72% • obedience was not related to age, ethnicity, and other demographics variables • obedience not related to empathetic concern or desire for control ◦ however, correlation between empathy and needing prods to continue Social Roles • being in a group influences behavior through: ◦ social norms: “rules” a group has for acceptable behaviors, values, and beliefs of its members ▪ obedience to authority, reciprocity ◦ social roles: expectations about how specific group members should behave • people change behavior to match expectations of roles ◦ can be intentional or unintentional (automatic) ▪ examples: ▪ hanging out with friends ▪ hanging out with family ▪ hanging out with boss ▪ people can shift in and out of these roles • Stanford prison study ◦ participants knew (somewhat) what they were volunteering for ▪ experiment about a prison simulation ◦ experiment only ended up lasting a few days ◦ the participants quickly assumed their “assigned” roles: ▪ many of the guards become quite abusive, harassing and humiliating the prisoner find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com ▪ most prisoners became passive, helpless, and withdrawn • participants fell into roles because: ◦ ambiguity in the situation ▪ there were some rules, but most were improvised ▪ no one had proper training ◦ stress of situation ◦ loss of identity Social Psychology in the Real World • could something like the Stanford Prison Study happen in the real world? ◦ prison abuse at Abu Ghraib ▪ in 2004, American military guards abused prisoners in Abu Ghraib ( a prison in Iraq) ◦ numerous cases of physical beatings, sexual abuse, and psychological humiliation ◦ eventually, pictures surfaced of U.S soldiers smiling in front of abused Iraqi prisoners. • read pages 228 - 230 of the text book • the military guards as Abu Ghraib ◦ were under tremendous stress ◦ had received littl
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit