PSY 2213 (13)
Lecture 7

PSY 2213 Lecture 7: Sept. 28 and Oct. 3 Lecture 8

5 Pages
Unlock Document

Appalachian State University
PSY 2213
Andrew Smith

Sept. 28 Lecture Self-Justification • cognitive dissonance : discomfort cause by performing an action that goes against one’s self of esteem • that causes the spreading of alternatives ◦ dissonance • what dissonance are people trying to reduce ◦ i made a good decision….right? • who is dissonance reduced? ◦ focus on the positives of the chosen ◦ focus on the negatives of the rejected • when people want and like things, they work hard to get them ◦ when we work hard for things, we have to justify our efforts. This can change our attitude (cognitions) • Arson and Mills ◦ this study involves a group discussion about sex. (no initiated, mild and severe) to be in the group, you have to read these words: sec-related but not explicit words sexually explicit words everyone participates in the group discussion asked how interesting was the discussion, etc. • Severe imitation led to increased interest and stuff • Why did severe initiation lead to increased liking ◦ dissonance, of course • What were dissonant thoughts? ◦ i wouldn't go through this embarrassing imitations for nothing… right? • How was dissonance reduced? ◦ i went thought the embarrassing initiation because this group is • Appreciation of Children ◦ all the participants are parents kids cost _ but there is also a benefit kids care going to cost _ • Dissonance Summary ◦ in order to justify past behavior, we often change our attitudes then task wasn’t so boring mad max is a fantastic movie this group is awesome being a parent is great • Attitudes do fluctuate based on: ◦ available information ◦ information focus ◦ mood ◦ many other things… October 3, 2016 Social Psychology in the Real World • Cognitive dissonance and applying for jobs ◦ when rejected from a job, for example, focus on the negative aspects ◦ people focus on different information ◦ movie example • Festinger and Carlsmith ◦ study about lying, like the task more even though they were paid lest ◦ severe initiation makes people like things more (different study) • Trend of doing worst things and thinking about the negatives causes people to increase their appreciation • when will dissonance lead to attitude change? ◦ when there is no or minimal external justification i lied and only got paid $1 no way for them to rationalize lying, so they change their behavior ◦ when we feel responsible for our actions i didn’t have to write this essay 1 people are either subtly encouraged to write essay about why it is a good idea to raise college tuition 2 not everyone encouraged, another group encouraged 2.1 result: the people who were encouraged to write the essay, believed / more in favor of raising college tuition ◦ When we can’t change our behavior i’m stuck with this photo and can’t exchange it stuck with it so they had to adjust their attitude ◦ when we attribute our negative feeling (dissonance) to attitude-discrepant behavior actually relates to some of the research before on emotions misattribution of arousal 1 might attribute emotions to the wrong thing (bridge and men experiment) • summary of dissonance: ◦ our behavior can influence our attitudes • Three ways of reducing dissonance ◦ change behavior, change attitude, add cognitions • Dissonance will lead to attitude change when: ◦ no external justification ◦ we feel responsible for our actions ◦ we can’t change our behavior ◦ we attribute dissonance to our behavior • attitudes formed through dissonance are “real" • Final thoughts on dissonance ◦ thinking about negatives only increases liking if you are “stuck" often, easiest way to get behavior in like with attitudes is change behavior ◦ cognitive dissonance can be good alters us when we need to change our behavior to match our attitudes
More Less

Related notes for PSY 2213

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.