Premium

6 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSY-2213
Professor
Andrew Smith

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Review • above average effects ◦ motivated explanations self serving motives idiosyncratic construal ◦ cognitive explanation egocentrism • Below average effects ◦ easy things, people feel like they are good at it so they are better than average ◦ slightly more difficult task, people feel like they are bad at it, worst than average egocentric (how good we are and ignore how ) • Summary ◦ peoples perceptions are influenced by their self serving motivations ◦ Peoples perceptions are ALSO influenced by their cognitive mechanisms that is, how they process information ◦ what initially appears to be motivational might have cognitive explanation be aware when trying to de bias people • motivated vs cognitive ◦ motivated explanation = we intentionally think we are about average to make ourselves feel better • Cognitive explanation = we think we are above average because of the way we process information ◦ might even be automatic ◦ people can’t help but processing information in an egocentric way Lecture • two kinds of thinking ◦ automatic: thinking that is effortless, involuntary, unintentional, and sometimes non conscious ◦ controlled: thinking that is effortful , deliberate, i intentional, and voluntary controlled can become automatic • Automatic thinking witch schemas ◦ schemas: mental “structures” people use to organize their knowledge about the social world categorizing sorta ◦ schemas can be"' simple: walk into a restaurant and - wait to be seated or sit down / order complex: men are like…. women are like…. schemas to do with social groups are basically a sterotype ◦ schemas influence what people notice, think about and remember whatever schema is activated, we make extra assumptions, our memories are not perfectly accurate so we reconstruct there memories all the time and we might fill in gaps or make mistakes ◦ schemas help us make sense of the world help reduce things not clear -ambiguity ◦ important when information can be interpreted in a number of way when trying to interpret unclear behavior - might use schemas ◦ fill int eh fans in our knowledge and memory • Schemas as memory Guides ◦ participants read a story that end with a man either proposing to a woman or raping her ◦ in a memory test two weeks later, people misremembered details consistent with the activated the schema besides the fact that they misremembered things, they did it in a predictable way ◦ Proposal schema: jack wanted to give barbra to meet his parents jack gave barbara a dozen roses ◦ Rape Schema jack liked to drink jack was unpopular with women • both ideas were not in the story but whatever schema activated, used to help aide memories • people use schemas that are applicable and accessible ◦ applicability: how well the schema “fits” the situation ex. researchers forced them to use rape or proposal ◦ accessibility: how readily people to think about a schema going to use schemas that are more accessible chronically accessibility: concepts that are important to you, always interpret behavior in that way they are use to always use these immediately apply those schemas temporarily: just talking about it and then influence you some what ◦ Chronically accessible schemas: schemas that are constantly active and ready to use to interpret amnigous situations example: imagine brother is alcoholic you see a m an acting strange not eh bus how do you interpret his behavior is he drunk or suffering from mental illness? would you interpretation change if your brother suffered from a mental illness ◦ Temporarily accessible schemas (priming) schemas that have been recently made active they have been primed example right before getting onto the bus, you are talking about drunk people at the bar you see the man acting strange on the bus how do you interpret behavior? would it change if you were just talking about mental illness ◦ Priming Schmal for Donald participants completed two “unrelated” studies ◦ Part 1: Participants memorized a list of words some learned words related to being reckless or careless others learned words related to be assertive / confident ◦ Part 2: Participants read about Donald and answered a bunch of questions about donald researchers wanted to know how people would describe donald compared to how they were primed • when does priming work? ◦ Behavior must be ambiguous (open to multiple interpretations) ◦ Primed schema must be applicable priming respectful vs. disrespectful wouldn’t influence perceptions of donalds recklessness Summary • schemas are often useful - helpful to reduce ambiguity • schemas can influence our memory • schemas can influence our perceptions • we automatically apply schemas that are applicable ◦ people aren’t going to be like I’m going to apply these words to donald • interpretations are persistent ◦ personality test - introvert / extrovert you can come up with instances that would suggest introvert and extrovert and then people still justified themselves as either introvert or extroverted because they just thought of all these exa
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit