1. To know about significance of Job Description.
2. To know the contents and the uses of Job Description and the job Specification.
3. To know the characteristics of a good Job Description.
So friends! can you explain why job description is needed for employees in an organization.
To study the concept “ job description” we should also know ‘what is Job Analysis’. so let us
what we have studied earlier!
In simple terms, job analysis may be understood as a process of collecting information about a job. The
process of job analysis results in two sets of data:
i) Job description and ii) Job
These data are recorded separately for references.
Let us summarise the concept of JobAnalysis:
Afew definitions on job analysis are quoted below
4. Job analysis is the process of studying and collecting information relating to
the operations and responsibilities of a specific job. The immediate products of
this analysis are job descriptions and job specifications.
5. Job analysis is a systematic exploration of the activities within a job. It is a
basic technical procedure, one that is used to define the duties, responsibilities
and accountabilities of a job.
6. A job is a collection of tasks that can be performed by a single employee to
contribute to the production of some products or service provided by the
organization. Each job has certain ability recruitments (as well as certain
rewards) associated with it. Job analysis is the process used to identity these
Specifically, job analysis involves the following steps:
7. Collecting and recording job information
8. Checking the job information for accuracy.
9. Writing job description based on the information
10. Using the information to determine the skills, abilities and knowledge that are required on the
job. 5. Updating the information from time to time.
Job Analysis, A process of obtaining all pertaining job facts is classified into two i.e. Job
Description and Job specification
Job Description is an important document, which is basically descriptive in nature and
contains a statement of job Analysis. It provides both organizational information’s (like
location in structure, authority etc) and functional information (what the work is).
It gives information about the scope of job activities, major responsibilities and
positioning of the job in the organization. This information gives the worker, analyst, and
supervisor with a clear idea of what the worker must do to meet the demand of the job.
Who can better describe the characteristics of good job description?
Earnest Dale has developed the following hints for writing a good job description: -
11. The job description should indicate the scope and nature of the work including
12. The job description should be clear regarding the work of the position, duties etc.
3) More specific words should be selected to show:-
a) The kind of work
13. The degree of complexity
14. The degree of skill required
15. The extent to which problems are standardized
16. The extent of worker’s responsibility for each phase of the work
So friends we can conclude by saying that Job description provide the
information about the type of job and not jobholders.
USES OF JOB DESCRIPTION: -
Now friends we will see why job description is necessary in an organization, There are several uses of job description, like
• Preliminary drafts can be used as a basis for productive group discussion,
particularly if the process starts at the executive level.
• It helps in the development of job specification.
• It acts as a too during the orientation of new employees, to learn duties &
responsibilities. It can act as a basic document used in developing performance
CONTENTS OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Friends following are the main content of a job description it usually consist of
following details or data.,
Job Description:Astatement containing items such as
• Job title / Job identification / organization position
• Job summary
• Machines, tools and equipment
• Materials and forms used
• Supervision given or received
• Working conditions
Job identification or Organization Position: - This includes the job title, alternative
title, department, division and plant and code number of the job. The job title identifies
and designates the job properly. The department, division etc., indicate the name of the
department where it is situated and the location give the name of the place.
Job Summary: - This serves two important purposes. First is it gives additional
identification information when a job title is not adequate; and secondly it gives a
summary about that particular job.
Job duties and responsibilities: - This gives a total listing of duties together with some
indication of the frequency of occurrence or percentage of ti