Chemistry
Course
CHM 113
Professor
Ron Briggs
Semester
Fall

Description
 Precipitation Reaction: Replacement reacting in which a solid precipitate is formed in a solution  Dissociation: Break up of soluble ionic compounds into ions in solution o Solubility: The ability of a substance (the solute) to dissolve in the solvent  Solubility Rules tell us which compounds are soluble o Appendix J of lab manual & Pg 121 of textbook  Electrolyte: Solution of ions that conducts and electric current o Strength depends on how many ions are formed in the solution  Strong electrolytes: Nearly 100% dissociation (Many ions)  More ions=Stronger electrolyte solution o Al(NO ) 3 3aCl o Al(NO ) 3 3 4 ions, NaCl has 2 ions  Examples: Any soluble ionic compound in H O 2  Strong acids  Strong bases  Weak electrolytes: Only some dissociation (Few ions)  Weak acids  Weak bases  Non-electrolytes: No dissociation (No ions)  Molecular/covalent bonded compounds o H O2  Hydrocarbons o Unless a weak/strong acid/base  Ionic Equations:  What happens when Pb(NO ) (a3) and NaI (aq) are mixed together in a solution? o Determine the ions that form when mixed together 2+ -  Pb(NO )3 2q) →+b (aq)+-O (aq) 3  NaI(aq) →Na (aq)+I (aq) o Predict new possible products  New combinations: Na +NO →NaNO - 2+ - 3 3  Pb +I→PbI 2 o Write
More Less

Related notes for CHM 113

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit