CRJ 308 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Prosocial Behavior, Self-Control, Operation Crossroads

42 views7 pages

Document Summary

Rational choice: argue individuals choose to engage in crime based on rational consideration of costs and benefits, cornish and clarke b. i. Bounded rationality- rationality constrained by limits of time and ability and availability of relevant information b. ii. Formal or informal cost of crime and also a moral cost to crime b. iii. Deals with the decisions to become involved in, continue with, and desist from crime. b. iv. Deals with the decision to commit specific criminal acts. Deterrence theory: has the same agreement as rational choice theory and also states that because people fear formal punishment they are deterred from committing crimes, two types of deterrence b. i. Most people who are actually punished are deterred from crime b. i. 2. This could not work if the offenders are not rational and punishment can increase strain b. ii. Understanding and knowing the certainty of punishments of crimes can deter crime among people in the general population b. ii. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers