CRJ 308 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Broken Windows Theory, Parental Investment, Social Disorganization Theory

45 views5 pages

Document Summary

Part i: classical theory/ school, crime occurs when the benefits outweigh the costs, crime is a free-willed choice, developed by cesare beccaria and influenced by thomas hobbs c. i. Baccaria had two assumptions: humans are self-interested and rational c. ii. People must give up some personal freedoms to receive peace and security: punishment d. i. The purpose of laws and punishment is deter crime d. i. 1. Punishment need to be more certain then sever d. i. 1. b. Laws and punishments need to be known and understood by the people d. i. 1. c. Pain/cost must outweigh the please/ benefit from crime: law should be applied equally blind justice , problems f. i. Laws are not always read and understood f. ii. Not all people are rational f. iii. many other factors influence crime. The classical school is one on the foundation of criminological thoughts. In this school it was believed that man were logical thinkers. Baccaria believed that humans were rational people who thought about only their benefits.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers