Psych 101 1-16-13 Notes.docx

3 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSY 101
Professor
Robert Short

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
****01/16/2013 Psychology 101 Notes****: Neuroscience and Behavior I. The Nervous System a. Two types of cells i. Neurons ii. Glial b. Components II. Communication a. Structure b. Action potential c. Synapse III. Common Neurotransmitters a. Ach b. Dopamine c. Serotonin d. Norepinephrine e. GABA IV. The Peripheral Nervous System V. The Central Nervous System VI. The Endocrine System VII. The Brain a. Hindbrain b. Limbic system c. Forebrain d. Association Neuroscience Basics  Two types of cells o Neurons: Specialized to rapidly respond to signals and quickly send signals of their own o Glial- “Glue” together the neural networks and help communication  Similarities o Myelin Sheath- Let’s some things in and keeps some things out o Cell body- Contains the Nucleus that contains all the genetic information that determines how a cell functions o Mitochondria- Structures that turn oxygen and glucose into energy How do neurons communicate? I. Structure: Long, thin intertwining fibers allow for communication a. Two types of fibers: i. Axons: Fibers that carry signals away from the cell body ii. Dendrites: Fibers that receive signals from the axons and carry signals to the cell body II. Action Potentials: The Domino Effect—A brief change in a neuron’s electrical charge a. Consider them a loaded gun b. Neurons generate electricity from an exchange of atoms i. Ions- Charged molecules (+ or -) ii. Polarization- More negative charge inside than outside the cell c. Pressure, Heat, Light, or other Chemicals- what we respond to i. Depolarization- Drop in negative charge in the neuron ii. Myelin- Fatty substan
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit