Lynda Mae (4)
Lecture 3

PSY 101 Lecture 3: Psychology Notes Part III

11 Pages
Unlock Document

Arizona State University
PSY 101
Lynda Mae

Tuesday, October 20 Psychological Development • Prenatal Stages - Conception to birth - Germinal Stage (0-2 weeks): Zygote - rapid cell division - Placenta forms (eventually functions as a two way street) - Embryonic Stage (2-8 weeks): Embryo - Most vulnerable stage - Characterized by the development of vital body organs, so the most can go wrong here. Sensitive to drugs, alcohol (brain abnormalities, underdeveloped heads), malnutrition, smoking (underdeveloped fetus, low birth rate), sicknesses - Once you get past it, usually means you will have the baby. - Fetal Stage (8 weeks - birth): Fetus — bone and muscle development - At 8 weeks, fetus is about the size of a kidney bean. Lots of growth • The Importance of Contact: beforehand, they thought that food was the most important thing the mother supplied, until they did this study: - Harlow’s Monkeys: A monkey had one area with a source of warmth and one area with food, and the monkey stayed with the warmth even at feeding time - Babies’ chances of survival are doubled when they are touched • Attachment (Bond) Development: bond formed with caretaker affects your whole life - Mary Ainsworth: Put babies in a ‘strange situation’ (unknown places are strange to babies): had the major caretaker bring the baby into a waiting room with toys in the middle of the room and a one-way mirror around it. Baby spotted the toys, so do they explore the toys? Does the baby use the caretaker as a base to go explore? Eventually had the caretaker leave the room. When they left, all cried. In a couple minutes, caretaker was to go sit back down in the room. With this experiment, she was able to come up with three major attachments: 1) Secure: More likely to go out and explore the environment. Can go back to parent at any time. (ex. Going to party with friend instead of alone — meet more people, might not even hang with friend, but comforted to know they’re there) 2) Anxious-ambivalent: The nervousness that they will leave, but the trust that they will come back and the clinging when they do come back. Trust is gone when they return. 1 Tuesday, October 20 3) Avoidant: Not visibly disturbed when the caretaker leaves, even though they saw them leave. “You’ve left me before and not come back, I’ve learned to deal with it and rely on myself. I will not trust you.” - Question: Are the infant’s needs usually met? YES —> Secure bond NO —> Child reacts with FEAR (anxious-ambivalent, overly dependent) or DEFENSIVENESS (avoidant, overly independent) - Not always the parent’s fault. Infant temperament can form an insecure bond even if all needs are met * US: 63% have secure bond, others mostly avoidant * Germany: 56% secure, 34% avoidant * Japan: 68% secure, others almost all anxious-ambivalent • Cognitive Development (Piaget) - Piaget: Originally studied his own kids. Created the stages of development below - Sensorimotor (0-2 years): Coordination of the sensory input and motor output messages - Object permanence: If you can’t see something anymore, it’s still there. Eventually developed by the time they finish this stage. - Scale errors: Cannot tell the difference between real-life sizes and miniature models. Very common from babies and toddlers. - T-Shirt Error: When they start to learn, they put their t-shirt on backwards far more often than chance - Preoperational (2-7 years): Developing symbolic thought - Irreversibility: ex. What is 8 - 5? 3. What is 5 + 3? ???? - Centration: Can only concentrate on one thing at a time. Adults are like this under the influence of alcohol. If you have a baggie and a bottle of alcohol, you are more likely to only stuff one under your seat. - Egocentrism: Only being able to see from your own viewpoint. (ex. hand teddy bear to sad person, “This will make you feel better.” - Concrete Operations (7-11 years): Acquiring concrete mental operations - Conservation: The difficulty realizing that just because the shape of something changes does not mean the amount changes. Overcome it at this stage. - Hierarchical Classification: No longer limited by centration. Understand that there are categories and subcategories. Can hold about 7 things in your working memory. 2 Tuesday, October 20 - Formal Operations (11-adolescence): Learning to think abstractly - Abstract thinking: What is love? Who am I? Leads to… - Systematic Thinking and Logic: Being able to think things through and coming up with a solution ahead of time. (If/then) Personality Development: Erik Erikson’s Psychosocial Model • * Came up with this theory before they could test it. It is a personality theory but always taught in developmental because it is a developmental theory as well. Freud said that personality developed in the first 5 years are what you’re stuck with forever, but Erikson disagreed. - Trust vs. Mistrust (1st year): Are my needs generally met? - Erikson: will be stuck with this default for the rest of you life. - Autonomy vs. Shame/Doubt (2-3): Can I learn to do things by myself or will I have to rely on others? - (Autonomy: yes. Shame/doubt: no.) - Initiative vs. Guilt (4-6): Am I good or am I bad? - (If good, have confidence to carry out things, or paralyzed by guilt of bad) - Industry vs. Inferiority (6-puberty): Am I competent or am I worthless? - (Largely learned at school.) - Identity vs. Confusion (adolescent): Who am I? Where am I going in life? - Intimacy vs. Isolation (early adult): Am I capable of meaningful relationships or must I live in isolation? - Does not mean intimacy — refers to bearing full self to another - Generatively vs. Self Absorption (middle adulthood): Am I generating something of worth with my life? - Dealing with the fact that death is imminent (existential realization) - If yes, carry sense of generatively with them - If no, cannot remove selves from self-focus experienced earlier on in life - Integrity vs. Despair (late adult): Have I lived a full life? - If no, start gaining much more despair 3 Thursday, October 22 Development of Identity • Marcia: You have to go through a crisis and come to a commitment in order to come to an identity Moral Development • Kohlberg Preconventional Level • - Punishment Orientation: Thinking that what is wrong is what is punished and what is right is anything that is not punished. Mostly present in little kids - Naïve Reward Orientation: What is wrong is still what is punished, but what is right is what is rewarded • Conventional Level - Good boy/girl Orientation: Seeking approval from respected others. Approval becomes more powerful than concrete rewards - Authority Orientation: Laws of the society that you live in - Most stop at this level. • Postconventional Level - Social Contract Orientation: Pausing and questioning the justice of laws before following them - Individual Principles & Conscience Orientation: What is right and wrong regardless of society’s rules is equity and justice for all. - ex. Hosting Jews during the World War or helping the Underground Railroad (helping total strangers) * Measuring Morality: What would you do in this scenario and why? - ex. Stealing expensive drug for dying wife: right or wrong? If at a conventional level, would say it’s wrong because it’s against the law. - Trolley Problem: 5 people on track. Can flip switch, but would kill one man. Should you flip the switch? - Second scenario: Can either push guy into track or flip switch. Most would pick flipping switch because you avoid human contact. - Mass murderers vs. Serial killers: Mass murderers tend to use guns, and serial killers tend to use their own hands 4 Thursday, October 22 Highlights of Adolescence • Identity Crisis - Necessary for development • Stress - Crisis before you come to your own commitment (ex. disagreement with parents) • Suicide Attempts - Myth that adolescents are at the highest risk for suicide. Actually at the highest risk for suicide attempts. - Elders are at the highest risk for suicide Highlights of Early Adulthood • New Trend of Later Marriage - Getting education first, then marriage • Increase in Alternative Lifestyles - Commitment without marriage (domestic partnership) — keeping the gov’t out of it • Four Parenting Styles 1) Authoritarian: Excessive control and not responsive to child’s needs 2) Indulgent-permissive: No or little control but highly responsive to child’s needs 3) Indifferent-uninvolved: No or little control and not responsive to child’s needs 4) Authoritative: High control and highly responsive to child’s needs Highlights of Middle Adulthood • Marital Happiness - Worst when you have kids. When kids leave home and parents retire, becomes higher than honeymoon phase. • Kids = Happiness? - For men, yes. Women, no. • Midlife Crisis vs. Reflection - Most just go through a reflection and then act upon it • Empty Nest Syndrome vs. Adjustment - Not a crisis, but a large adjustment. Can now focus on themselves again 5 Thursday, October 22 Highlights of Older Adulthood • Gradual decline of active neurons (minor effect) • Gradual decline in sensory sensitivity (easily corrected) • Fluid intelligence decr
More Less

Related notes for PSY 101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.