United States (313,500)
History (152)
HIST 1010 (47)

17 Pages
Unlock Document

Auburn University
HIST 1010
John Stephens

Themes: Political struggle in china­ mean relation (related to idea of harmony) How mandate of heaven ties in^ Ancestor worship and what chinese offered Babylonian law Maat How peasants get screwed over by rich and what theyre allowed to do to try to get justice Fathers giving advise to son­ Egyptians  OUT OF AFRICA A. becoming human a. origins point to eastern Africa b. many kinds of homonids c. upright walking d. opposable thumbs and dexterity i. able to use tools and hands were freed because of upright walking e. speech and larger brains i. warn each other for protection ii. stay in groups  iii. lead to more complex social situations B. Homo Sapiens a. Hominin migrations out of Africa b. Homo erectus, Neanderthals, etc c. 400000 years ago­ homo sapiens emerge d. c 14000 years ago­ homo sapieans cover the globe i. travel by ice ii. migration based on food THE STONE AGES A. the Paleolithic a. the power of culture i. wholeset of morals customs beliefs technology world view  knowledge base that gets passed down and defines society ii. very versatile; can adapt iii. language learned early and passed down but can be adapted iv. not a large population but culture made possible for humans to live  on v. evidence of artwork and religion emerge b. food and tools i.  tools, stone tools, less complex­ axes spears arrows, nets, needles,  shelter 1. passed on to next generation ii. plan and cook, seasons, game, what to eat passed down orally  c. gathering and hunting i. labor division usually by gender ii. gathering more reliable d. migration a constant i. distribution of power­ not you cant amass wealth when moving a  lot. ii. Only take what they need and make what they need when they get  somewhere e. egalitarian societies i. everyone equal, no one with power over another f. artwork i. abstract, representations ii. to archive, tell story, pass on knowledge, written record iii. prehistory­ just pictures possibly religious iv. development of humans thinking and applying cultural beliefs that  can be considered religious 1. burying dead with relatives, with objects etc a. family bonds B. the Neolithic a. the invention of agriculture( key characteristic distinguishing from  Paleolithic) i. about 10000 years ago domestication of plants and animals ii. from working 20 hours a week as hunters and gathers to working  50 to 60 hours a week iii. provide home, stability, more reliable food, larger populations b. fertile crescent, other regions later i. euphralees and tigris river ii. china­ millet and rice iii. mexico­ corn squash beans iv. Eurasia Africa­ cows sheeps pigs  c. sedentary life and social stratification i. possibility of accumulation of wealth .> power d. cities, territorial states, empires i. first city­ in fertile crescent, samaria ii. cities allo for specialized jobs­ cleaning, law enforcement,  blacksmith/metal­workers,  artisans, merchants, cobblers,  engineers/archetects, artists/ pottery makers,  clerical class/  religious leaders 1. shift from stone to metals for tools iii. multiple cities­ warriors conflict etc.  1. good soldier> promotion. Provide protection, get  necessaties e. c. 3200b.c.e.­ urak i. first city CONCLUSION f. humanity has origins in Africa g. migration has long been a trait that characterizes humanity h. culture is the key adaptive tool for homo sapiens i. Paleolithic societies defined egalitarianism j. Neolithic period creates foundation for stratified societies and first cities THE INDUS VALLEY AND CHINA I. South Asia a. The Harappa  i. 2600 B.C.E.­ First cities center on indus valley 1. emergence of five main cities­ the harappa culture 2. served as commercial center/markets and religious center 3. writing­ record economic activity ii. mohenjo­daro and the great bath iii. pproblems of interpretation iv. c. 1900 B.C.E.­ mystery of decline 1. abandonment for no reason b. The vedic i. Indo­european migration 1. Raised livestock  ii. 2000 b.c.e.­ the aryas and the dasa iii. the vedas as a source 1. orally transmitted hymns/songs/poems 2. written down 6000 bce in Sanskrit 3. origin story­ tell history of aryas a. violent conflict. Dasas and aryas fight and aryas win iv. families and clans 1. patriarchal  2. clans had “chiefs” all families in clan had common ancestor  3. clans fought each other v. the varna system and religion 1. 4 caste system (on canvas) 2. fifth caste emerged­ “untouchables” 3. reincarnation and karma 4. levels within caste emerge a. more peace, less conflict II. Early China a. The roots of urban life i. The yellow and Yangzi valleys 1. Walls implying major conflict 2. Large scale fighting allows for power ii. C. 2000 b.c.e.­ stratified society emerges 1. Silk and bronze=wealth 2. iii. Specialized laborers iv. Oracle bones and writing v. C. 1900­ first cities b. The shang and zhou i. 1570b.c.e.­the shang territorial state 1. city states conquer other city states ii. the city of anyang 1. capital of shang territorial state iii. ancestor worship  1. spirits and gods and head god 2. pray or conduct rituals to see if ancestors could help you in  life­ sacrificial rituals 3. sacrificing of human beings iv. 1027 b.c.e.­ the zhou and the mandate of heaven 1. rises up in rebellion 2. king wen claims heaven allows him to do so and the shang  had become tyranical v. policy of indirect rule 1. regional governers­ thought of to be related to emperor  CONCLUSION 1. river valleys and religion crucial to creation of urban life in both india and china 2. Harappa illustrate the importance of writing for historians 3. The vedic period defined by cultural interaction 4. Chinese states highlight the stratification that can exist in such societies 5. Large territorial states do not need to be strongly centralized THE EARLY AMERICAS I. states societies in the Americas­ 1200­400 bce (the Olmec) a. Andean peoples i. The Andes mountains and microclimates 1. People have lived there thousands of years ii. The potato staple of farming 1. Later corn iii. 900 b.c.e­ the chavin 1. lasted over 1000 years 2. cultural and economic center 3. good at making cloth 4. not much conflict iv. 200c.e.­ the moche 1. all about fighting and war­ walls, evidence of weapons, 2. ritual and economic centers 3. two pyramids­ moon and sun 4. v. moche sacrifice and mummies 1. mummifying­ elements of afterlife b. The maya i. 800 b.c.e­ roots of maya state planted ii. decipherment of maya script 1. mayan code a. hieroglyphic/ code b. cracked by scholars iii. a number of cities and monumental architecture iv. 200­900 c.e.­ classical period v. ritual, ball games, and war 1. blood­shedding 2. rich people had jade put in their teeth as a sign of status 3. road to el dorado game a. reenact struggle of twins against gods b. ball hit ground it would awake gods of  underworld CONCLUSION 1. diverse array of societies in early Americas 2. lack of writing in most of these societies poses challenges to  understanding their history 3. agriculture in north America, but state societies largely limited to  Mesoamerica 4. religion and ritual important to understanding hierarchical power in  Mesoamerican and Andean states 5. the cultural influence of Mesoamerican and Andean societies is  geographically vast  MESOPATAMIA I. City States of mesopatamia a. Priests and kings i. Ration systems and ziggurats ii. C. 3000 b.c.e.­ ur, susa, mippur, etc. 1. Center for surplus storage iii. Basis of power shifts to kings 1. Shifts to military leaders instead of religious leaders iv. Hereditary dynasties and religious justification 1. Pass to sons, compacts with priests (gods want it like this b. The rise of territorial states i. C. 2500 b.c.e­ the rise of Akkadians 1. Sargon I­ commoner from kitsch, founds akkad ii. Sargon I and territorial expansion 1. Indirect rule­ risk for rebellion iii. C. 2200 b.c.e.­ succession of territorial states iv. 1700s b.c.e.­ Babylon and code of Hammurabi 1. Hammurabi­ kings needed to be benevolent kings 2. Protect lower people 3. Written laws to create fairness (first person to do this.) II. Beyond the tigris and Euphrates a. The regional system  i. C. 1500­ birth of numerous kingdoms ii. International competition in near east iii. Gifts and marriages iv. Level of servitude and exploitation increases  b. The Assyrian empire i. C. 860 b.c.e.­ perhaps earliest empire in history ii. First defensive, the militarized imperial state iii. Forced restettlement iv. Local autonomy and provinces v. Ashurbanipal and nineveh library III. CONCLUSION a.   b.   c.   d.   e.   f.   EGYPT IV. Egyptian culture a. The old and middle kingdoms i. The gift of the nile ii. Menes unites lower and upper Egypt 1. Created first territorial state in egypt iii. C. 2660 b.c.e.­ beginning of the old kingdom iv. Nubian and Egyptian cultures closely connected 1. Often fough against each other, Nubians usually at  disadvantage 2. Nubians saw Egypt as place of opportunity  v. C. 2040 b.c.e.­ middle kingdom b. Pharaohs, gods, and pyramids i. Amon­ra, Osiris, isis, horus 1. Amon­ra­ creator god 2. Osiris­ conflict with evil brother seth dismembered 3. Osiris’s wife isis­ mother earth, found all of Osiris’s body  parts except one and gods reincarnate him as god of  underworld 4. Horus­ possible son of Osiris and isis­ protector, associated  with sun ii. Pharaohs viewed as living gods 1. “physical embodiment of horus” to matain ma’at iii. The importance of ma’at 1. truthfulness, rightfulness, justice. iv. Mummies and the afterlife v. Khufu’s great pyramid of giza V. Egypt and its neighbors a. The new kingdom i. C. 1800­ arrival of the Hyksos ii. 1570 b.c.e.­ new kingdom iii. conquest, slavery. Regional system iv. Akhenaten and Nefertiti v. C. 1200 b.c.e.­ major decline b. In the wake of decline i. 727 b.c.e.­ rise of the kingdom of kush ii. 600s b.c.e.­ Assyrian conquest iii. Phoenicians, maritime trade, alphabet 1. Alphabet­ 30 letters, symbols representing sounds. Serves  and basis for greek and roman alphabet. Phonetic based  iv. Hebrews and Judaic religio
More Less

Related notes for HIST 1010

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.