7 Pages

Department
Physiology
Course Code
PHYS 215
Professor
Kelly Worden
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
1. Neurophysiology Part 2
Review
oCell body and dendrites
Graded potentials add up
oAxon hillock
Generation of action potential
3 phases
oAxon
conduction
contiguous (unmyelinated)
salutatory (myelinated)
Myelinating cells
oMyelin – lipid covering
oSchwann cells (neurolemma cells)
Peripheral nervous system
Single axon
Phagocytes
Regenerative
Can promote growth of neuron
oOligodendrocytes
Central nervous system
Multiple axons
Growth inhibition
Don’t want to promote growth like Schwann
find more resources at oneclass.com
Cell body is external to the axon
How can we promote growth? (Potential but no guarantee)
oBlock inhibitors
oNerve grafts with Schwann cells
oNeuronal stem cells
Multiple Sclerosis
oAffects brain and spinal cord (Central nervous system)
Progressive damage to the myelin
Which type of myelinating cell affected?
Oligodendrocytes (Regeneration is limited)
oCause of MS is unknown
Repeated episodes of inflammation of nervous tissue
Episodes occur when the body’s own immune cells attack
the nervous system (autoimmune disorder)
HHV-6 (Human Herpes Virus Type 6)
Epstein Bar
Can be promoted by decrease in your own immune
function (low vitamin D)  autoimmune disorder
oGuillain-Barre (Schwann cells are attacked)
90% chance recovery in first year because Schwann cells
are regenerative)
Axon Terminal
o3 structures

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
1. Neurophysiology Part 2  Review o Cell body and dendrites  Graded potentials add up o Axon hillock  Generation of action potential  3 phases o Axon  conduction  contiguous (unmyelinated)  salutatory (myelinated)  Myelinating cells o Myelin – lipid covering o Schwann cells (neurolemma cells)  Peripheral nervous system  Single axon  Phagocytes  Regenerative  Can promote growth of neuron o Oligodendrocytes  Central nervous system  Multiple axons  Growth inhibition  Don’t want to promote growth like Schwann  Cell body is external to the axon  How can we promote growth? (Potential but no guarantee) o Block inhibitors o Nerve grafts with Schwann cells o Neuronal stem cells  Multiple Sclerosis o Affects brain and spinal cord (Central nervous system)  Progressive damage to the myelin  Which type of myelinating cell affected?  Oligodendrocytes (Regeneration is limited) o Cause of MS is unknown  Repeated episodes of inflammation of nervous tissue  Episodes occur when the body’s own immune cells attack the nervous system (autoimmune disorder)  HHV-6 (Human Herpes Virus Type 6)  Epstein Bar  Can be promoted by decrease in your own immune function (low vitamin D)  autoimmune disorder o Guillain-Barre (Schwann cells are attacked)  90% chance recovery in first year because Schwann cells are regenerative)  Axon Terminal o 3 structures  Muscle (neuromuscular junction)  Neuron (synapse)  Gland (neuroglandular junction or synapse) o Innervation  Muscle or gland  Chemical synapse o Presynaptic neuron:  Axon terminal  Contains synaptic vesicles or secretory granules  Neurotransmitter release o Postsynaptic neuron  Dendrite, cell body  Receptors for neurotransmitter o Synaptic know or Bouton  The swelling at the axon terminal o Synaptic cell  Between the presynaptic and postsynaptic terminal  What is involved in neurotransmitter release? o Interaction of  Proteins  Lipid  Calcium  Docking proteins o Remember? t-SNARES and v-SNARES  Neurons have SNAP-25  Non-neurons have SNAP-23 o Docked vesicles  Dependent on calcium channels to fuse  Calcium channel is at axon terminal  Calcium channels allow the transport of calcium  Voltage gated calcium channels and calcium comes into the cell o Forms micro domains (areas of positivity)  Synaptotagmin  Calcium also acts directly between the two membranes to promote fusion o Kiss and Run theory
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit