ANT 1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Global Brain, Language Documentation, Participant Observation

106 views2 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

9/15/16: how does suslak explain the real real story of ayapenco? (571) a, there are, in actuality, more than 2 speakers b. i. Semispeakers rather than fluent speakers like manuel and chilo: different dialects of ayapaneco exist, consequences d. i. Of portraying the story in this way d. ii. Of teaching the language to new generation: what is the paradox of manuel"s remarks? (579) a. i. To create a global consciousness of dying languages a. ii. Author, by being there firsthand, inadvertently affects his data a. ii. 2. Physicists can remove themselves from their experiments, anthropologists cannot a. ii. 3. By talking to people, you receive a bottlenecked account of what happened a. iii. Reg: keeping language alive by teaching it to a new: paradoxes generation b. i. The language allowed him the peace of not talking, but its sudden popularity forced him into the limelight b. ii. He is proud of ayapaneco and being its last speaker, but he will not allow it to carry on b. iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers