SOC 1305 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Twin, Tabula Rasa, Steven Pinker

28 views3 pages
19 Dec 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Modern day social science (e. g. , sociology, psychology, political science, etc. ) endorses the blank slate (i. e. , nurture) theory of human nature and behavior. He believes that the blank slate theory is completely wrong and he offers a strong critique of it by providing evidence that biology (i. e. , nature) plays an important role in human behavior. Universal beliefs, practices, and feelings exist in diverse cultures around the world: language, religion, art, heroes and villains, emotions. These universal aspects of human life are probably not the product of cultural similarities biology is likely involved. Every thought, feeling, and intention we have is merely electrophysiological activity in the brain. Any alteration of the brain (damage, disease, etc. ) has severe consequences for behavior. Psychoactive drugs, which alter brain function, also affect behavior. Natural variations in brain structure are associated with differences in behavior. Three laws of behavioral genetics: first law: all human behavioral traits are heritable (i. e. , influenced by genetic factors)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers