THEA 1314 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Showtunes, Musical Theatre, Intelligent Design

17 views5 pages
22 Feb 2020
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Musical theatre history: musical theatre was born from other artistic expressions, opera -- operetta -- musicals. Types of musicals: classical musical theatre, pre-1940s, close to operetta vocally. Longer shows: unity of story elements (music, book, plots, showtunes part of the top hits, anything goes, of thee i sing. Showboat: golden age (1943-1965, 1960s time of transitions and it is reflected in musical theatre, war, protests to war, civil rights movement, political strife, shows had more defined structure, emerging rock shows. South pacific: king and i, west side story, guys and dolls, my fair lady, music man, hello dolly, cabaret, how to succeed without really trying. Sweeney todd: british invasion, 1980s, british mega-musicals, huge special effects. Les mis rables: phantom of the opera, cats. Little shop of horrors: corporate musicals and revues, 1990s, the disneyfication of broadway, corporation pay to have musicals written and produced.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers