APSY 2032 Lecture 15: April 5_Psych of Learning_Perez

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston College
Counseling, Developmental, and Educational Psychology
APSY 2032

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 Self-Regulated Learning Continued Self-Generated Processes • Strategies to control behavior: o E.g. self-evaluating your mess assignment for accuracy • Strategies to control environment: o E.g. arranging a quiet place to study • Covert processes o I.e. metacognitive processes, cognitive strategies (e.g. word associations to increase memory) Key Processes Involved in SRL 1. Setting standards and goals – deciding what you want to accomplish/achieve. Resolving conflicts between goals. 2. Self-observation (monitoring) – assessing whether you are making adequate progress toward your goal. 3. Self-control – choosing a strategy to accomplish your goal and changing you strategy if progress is inadequate. 4. Self-evaluation – making evaluative judgments about yourself based on your success in achieving your goal. 5. Self-reaction – feeling a particular way about yourself based on your self- evaluation. 6. Self-reflection – critically examining one’s success in achieving one’s goals and adjusting one’s beliefs and strategies. Metacognition: A Critical Component of SRL • Metacognition = knowledge and cognition about cognitive phenomena o Examples in every day lives ▪ Belief that your working memory capacity is limited ▪ Belief that you remember things better if you visualize them first ▪ Judging whether or not you will be able to remember what you just studied ▪ Judging whether you understanding what you just read ▪ Feeling confused or uncertain Why is metacognition important? • Effective learning involves knowing what it is you need to learn, as well as knowing how to learn it o When studying for an exam, do you ask yourself whether you know a topic well enough? o Why would this be important to have an accurate answer to this? o How do you choose an effective strategy? Types of Metacognitive Knowledge Varieties! • Person – what you come to believe about yourself and others as cognitive processes o Intra-individual differences – e.g. “I think better when I’ve slept.” o Inter-individual differences – e.g. “Sarah does better with less sleep than I do.” • Cognitive universals – e.g. “Working memory has a limited capacity.” • Task demands or goals – e.g. “It’s difficult to remember the text verbatim.” • Strategy – what you believe about cognitive or metacognitive strategies o Including, which strategies will be effective for a
More Less

Related notes for APSY 2032

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.