Communication
Course
COMM 1010
Professor
A L L
Semester
Fall

Description
ROMAN RHETORIC Gap between Greek and Roman Rhetoric  Aristotle – died 322 BC  Power Struggle between Greece and Rome (~323 BC)  Greece becomes part of the Roman Republic (~202 BC – 146 BC)  Roman Republic becomes Roman Empire (~70 BC) 1. Why the gap? a. Aristotle’s works were massive i. All the works were based off of him b. The power struggle between Greece and Rome i. Alexander the Great dies  ▯Romans want to gain Greece c. Roman Republic becomes powerful i. Our center of focus shifts to Rome ii. Rome then falls into an empire (prior people had been elected in  the Senate) the Senate stops being about the people and about  internal power ­­  the Republic ceases to work as a republic 2. Cicero a. 106 BC – 43 BC b. Greatest Roman Orator and Rhetorical Theorist of Rome i. Liked to tell people this ii. Wrote frequently and alot c. Established the Canons of Rhetoric i. Aristotle played a large role in the development of the Canons d. Assassinated  i. Caesar names himself perpetual dictator  ▯Senate and military  don’t like  ▯Caesar killed  ▯Cicero killed for  ii. Head placed outside Senate as a warning for anyone that speaks  out against a dictator 3. Cicero’s Canons of Rhetoric a. Invention (Inventio) i. These are the things the rhetor uses to persuade the audience ii. Everything goes off of invention iii. Aristotle’s 3 categories of proofs 1. Logos 2. Ethos a. The most potent 3. Pathos a. Should be used to improve moral society b. Arrangement (Dispositio) i. This is the way the rhetor organizes the invention to ensure it  makes sense and will have the most impact. Several common types  of arrangement are: 1. Topical arrangements are useful when all speech points are  relatively equal levels of importance. 2. Chronological arrangements are useful when subjects  follow a natural sequential order. 3. Causal (cause & effect) arrangements should be used with  the main points of a speech compare something that’s  known to be a “cause” with its “effects.” 4. Problem­Solution arrangements organize the main points  to demonstrate the nature and significance of a problem and  then provide justification for a proposed solution.  5. Compare and contrast arrangements are useful when you  want to compare one thing to another (usually to show that  one is better than the other). c. Elocution (Elocutio) i. This is the style in which the rhetor communicates her/his  information (not an exhaustive list) ii. The way we get people to think what we are saying is interesting, a  way to understand content 1. Simile – compares one thing to another (like or as) a. Blind as a bat 2. Metaphor – compares two things but does so by describing  one thing as actually being the other a. I am a monster b. A tenor (“I”) and a vehicle (“monster”) 3. Analogy – extended metaphor or simile that compares  unfamiliar concepts to more familiar ones. 4. Personification – endowing inanimate objects with human  qualities. a. The trees whispered in the wind 5. Understatement – drawing attention to an idea by  minimizing or lessening its importance. a. A pilot saying we may have a little bit of trouble  when the plane is falling 6. Irony – use of humor, satire or sarcasm to suggest a  different meaning than what is actually being said. 7. Allusion – making vague or indirect references to people,  events, or concepts to give deeper meaning to message. 8. Hyperbole – obvious exaggeration used to drive a point  home. a. “This is the best class in the world” b. “I have a million pages to read” 9. Repetition implants important ideas in people’s heads. 10. Alliteration ­ the repetition of consonant sounds in two or  more neighboring syllables.  It has a poetic and musical  quality that can be advantageous. 11. Parallelism refers to the arrangement of words, phrases and  sentences in similar form. a. “I like eating, dancing, and drinking” – all have the  same endings 12. Idiom – a set of words that mean something they don’t  really mean 13. Onomatopoeia – formation of a word from a sound that is  associated with what it is named a. Pow, woot d. Memory (Memoria) i. This is the effort the rhetor puts in to creating a lasting impression  with the audience (often means memorizing and practicing the  speech) ii. Ability to memorize their speech and then relay it passionately e. Delivery (Pronunciatio) i. This is the method of presentation by the rhetor, it includes the use  of voice, gesture and use of media ii. 4. Martin Luther King, Jr. “I have a dream” a. It maintains its relevance and meaning even today b. Invention i. Use of pathos 1. Work together 2. Moral causes a. Trying to get the audience to understand 3. Us and we a. Community 4. Uses children 5. Provides hope a. This  ii. Ethos 1. Puts himself on the same level as others c. Arrangement i. Chronological 1. Starts with emancipation proclamation  ▯current president  talking about problems  ▯hope for future ii. All of the dreams are equally important d. Elocution i. Parallelism 1. Discrimination, segregation 2. Poverty, prosperity ii. Metaphors 1. Cash the check for the riches of freedom 2. Quicksands of racial injustice 3. Justice rolls down like water and justice like a righteous  stream iii. 1963 is not an end but a beginning iv. Repetition – always brings you back if you stray 1. We can never be satisfied 2. I have a dream 3. Mountains 4. Now is the time v. Personification 1. White only signs rob them of dignity e. Delivery i. Used his voice for majority ii. Raised his hand for “let freedom ring”  ▯meaningful and distinct iii. Spoke at a slow pace to let people think things through iv. Consistent eye contact 1. Feels personal v. His voice builds 5. Quintilian a. 35 BC – 100 CE b. The Citizen Orator i. “Rhetoric is a good man speeking well” ii. Adds virtue to everything they do c. “Eloquent speeches are not the result of momentary inspirations, but the  products of research, analysis, practice, and application” d. The true orator must be honorable person who adds to virtue.   e. Believed that a great speaker should be learning since birth i. You are good rhetor if you work hard 6. The Citizen Orator a. A “good man” i. Something that’s natural that emanates from within us b. Free from vice i. No person is able to truly do good if they have evil in their heart ii. Good and evil cannot coexist in one man c. Advocates only in what he truly believes i. Must be honest in your dealings d. A lover of wisdom / seeks knowledge i. The goal should be the constant search for knowledge rather than  becoming wise e. Servant of the community/peop
More Less

Related notes for COMM 1010

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit