Communication
Course
COMM 1010
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
Rhetoric does not have to be only language it can be nonverbal as well. Persuasive  communication. Has been portrayed negatively in society for the past 250 years. Not always so. Used to  be seen as the fundamental part to a liberal education ­­ what allowed young men to be  successful in life. Over time due to socioeconomic change the perceptions changed.  WE want people to be bale to discuss openly when they don’t see eye to eye 1. Concerns regarding rhetoric a. We have tied disagreement with someone’s views as not liking one’s  personality b. Disagreement is necessary for a vibrant society c.  We let the LOUD opinion stand as the RIGHTS opinion d. People only choose to hang out with people that they agree with  ▯creates  cliques where people do not interact with other’s with dissimilar ideas  ▯ bad for society 2. Importance of rhetoric a. When rhetoric fails or isn’t even attempted violence ensues b. Rhetoric is the way to prevent violence (talking way out of fights,  communicate instead of punch) 3. Definition of rhetoric a. Single definition perspective – theorized by Bryant (1953) i. Rhetoric is instrumental (a tool we to accomplish stuff) ii. Rhetoric is literary (interested in the function of language) iii. Rhetoric is philosophical (interested in why we think the things we  think) iv. Rhetoric is social (manages the behavior of humans more so than  anything else) b. Systems Perspective – Ehniger (1968), rhetoric is culture and time bound i. Classical rhetoric (interested in rhetoric originating in Greece and  Rome, and being interested in the canons of rhetoric) ii. British rhetoric (interested in the audience and how the audience  perceives it) iii. Contemporary rhetoric (interested in identification, how we  identify with messages, writer, people who talk to us, etc.) c. Evolutionary perspective – James Goldin (1987),  i. We need to understand that rhetoric grows and develops based on  what was already there 4. Characteristics of Rhetoric a. Planned i. Good communication takes effort and thought b. Involves Audience i. Demands and audience (persuasive communication) to convince,  excite ii. Hilary Clinton presidential chat 1. In a living room, places where personal conversation would  happen, not at desk 2. “We”, “us”, “lets”, “conversation”, “chat”, “middle”, in it  together 3. Eye contact, relaxed body language,  4. Refers to her past and history 5. Numerous, varied topics 6. Clothing 7. Action­ step c. Has Motives i. Helps us accomplish tasks ii. Can be seen and unseen, hidden and visible iii. Mormon long boarder video 1. Defies stereotype 2. Perception is strong and hard to be overridden 3. Linked to Mormon values d. Responsive i. Addresses a situation or creates a situation e. Persuades i. Through aesthetics, beauty, logic, appeals, etc. f. Establishes truth i. Establishes what we believe is true g. Addresses contingent issues i. Pressing issues that are uncertain 5. Rhetoric Manifests These Characteristics by: a. Relying on emotional appeals i. Ex: humor, sentiment b. Using famous people i. Associate with their personality instantaneously ii. Betty White snickers commercial 1. Marketing to different groups and a
More Less

Related notes for COMM 1010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit