YouTube and Evolving Networked Culture
• What is YouTube?
o A coordinating mechanism between individual and collective activity and meaning
o A mediator between various competing industry-oriented discourses about
ideologies and various audience- or uses – oriented ones
Making Sense of Evolving Networked Culture
• Threat to established media industries of broadcast era?
• Assumption: YouTube is just a distribution platform
o For many users, site is much about discussion, response, and interaction rather
• Clips as “quotes of content”
• Redactin: the production of new material by the process of editing existing content
• Enunciative productivity of audiences
• To characterize YouTube in terms of distribution (copyright, piracy logic) is an outdated
model of understanding media landscape
• Discourses of copyright infringemen