English (96)
ENGL 1010 (25)

Letter to Carlo Rotella.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston College
ENGL 1010
Kyoung-yim Kim

Hampsch 1 Audra Hampsch Prof. Kim First Year Writing 4 December 2013 Dear Professor Rotella, My name isAudra Hampsch. Currently, I am a freshman in the College ofArts and Sciences at Boston College. I plan on pursuing a major in film studies and a minor in Hispanic studies. I am writing to you about the Lowell Humanity Series.Afew weeks ago I attended Heather Nathans’“Seeing Ourselves Through Others’Eyes” LHS presentation. Personally, history has never been my strongest subject, but Nathans made the seemingly dry nineteenth century topic interesting for me, not only through her passion for the subject, but also through her presentation’s organization. I think another valuable speaker who could possibly be featured in the Lowell Humanities Series is Erik Weihenmayer, the first blind man to climb Mount Everest. Weihenmayer lost his vision at the age of thirteen.At first, he refused to use a cane or even learn to read Braille, hoping to prove that he could continue to live as he had before. Soon after, however, he realized that he was incapable of doing so. This spurred his decision to learn how to wrestle, which carried him to Iowa’s National Junior Freestyle Wresting Championship in high school. He graduated from Boston College with a degree in English, and is currently a middle school teacher and wrestling coach. In 2001, he successfully climbed Mount Everest, becoming the first blind person to ever reach the summit. In 2008, he completed his quest to climb the Seven Summits—the highest peaks on each of the even continents. Hampsch 2 Erik Weihenmayer is the epitome of overcoming adversity. He opened up the eyes and minds of people across the world by re-defining what it means to be blind. He teaches that blindness shouldn’t be a handicap, but rather a challenge. His story may not be as academic as the o
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 1010

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.