Discussion: The Irish Famine 2/14/14
• Britain had lots of control over Ireland
o Controlled imports and exports
o Owned lots of the land and rented it out
o Instituted a free market
• Landlord class rented land out to people for money or work
• There were so many poor Catholics that when famine hit there was nothing to
• Catholics made up the majority of the population but only owned about 14% of
• 1815the price of grain goes down
• “An Gorta Mór”= “The Big Hunger”
o From the inside there was food being produced but they weren’t getting it.
That is why they call it the “Big Hunger” instead of the “Great Famine”
o From the outside we call it “The Great Famine” because it looks like no
one was getting fed and there was no food
• How did it get so bad?
o A fungus comes from the