Class Notes (808,754)
United States (313,251)
Boston College (3,500)
History (446)
HIST 1055 (21)
Farber (19)
Lecture 11

HIST 1055 Lecture 11: Lecture 11 Competition (England)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston College
HIST 1055

Competition English Settlement I. Imperial Competition ○ Systems in place by 1650 CE ○ We’ve already talked about ■ Mesoamerican political changes during conquest period ■ Spanish: conquest, gold/silver mining ■ Portuguese: sugar growing (“production”) ■ Asante: production of slaves ■ Dutch: sugar processing, shipping, finance ■ French: fur trading, missionaries ■ NOW: English: from pirates to settlers and planters ○ North America ■ Huge population increase in British North American colonies from 1650- 1750 (1.1 million) II. Origins of English-Spanish Rivalry ○ Henry VII of Tudor won war of roses and was looking to stabilize his new conquests (unified england) by setting up Henry VIII ○ Henry VIII (England) marries Catherine of Aragon (Spain) (daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella) and consolidate the state - England was less prosperous than Spain ○ Catherine and Henry have a daughter not a son which Henry is pissed about ○ Henry asks Pope to annul the marriage so he can marry again and have a son - Pope says no (to keep states together/England prosperous) ○ So Henry ignores Pope and just sets aside Catherine and marries again → ignorance of the Pope is part of what led to the split of Protestants/Catholics ○ But Henry’s son dies young so Mary I (daughter of Catherine of Aragon gets inheritance) ○ Mary I marries Philip II of Spain and they try to re-Catholicize England and expel Protestants ○ Elizabeth I Stabilizes Church of England (Protestant) - accepts Catholics and Protestants basically ○ But now England and Spain rivalry = due to Catherine cast aside and Spain
More Less

Related notes for HIST 1055

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.