Honors Program
Course
HONR 1101
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
Emily McClure Genesis 12-25 To begin, I think thatAbraham (although then he was still calledAbram), obeyed God’s initial summons because God offers him greatness and a multitude of amazing blessings. I think that this proposal alone was enough to arouseAbraham’s curiosity and follow the Lord. He promisesAbraham and Sarah, “I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you.All the families of the earth will find blessing in you” (Genesis 12:2-3). If you ask me, that seems like pretty much the best offer Abraham could get. It’s interesting to see God’s promises unfold though because there are often hidden catches along the way. In Genesis 12-25, we don’t yet see all of the full outcomes of these promises (which become part of the official covenant between Abraham and God) because much of it will be fulfilled throughout hundreds of years after Abraham’s death and during his son Isaac’s life. But God keeps to these promises, and the covenant further creates more detailed promises between them that are more concretely visible in the text. Gods says toAbraham, “I am the God theAlmighty. Walk in my presence and be blameless. Between you and me I will establish my covenant, and I will multiply you exceedingly” (Genesis 17:1-2). The covenant betweenAbraham and God is described as follows: God promises Abraham children of his own and descendants that will multiply to create many nations. He will giveAbraham and his descendants the whole land of Canaan as their own, and He will be the God ofAbraham’s descendants throughout every generation. In return, Abraham and his descendants must keep the covenant by circumcising every male in their kingdom – even those who are not his lineage. This covenant between God andAbraham contains these lofty promises, and there is definitely an element of bargaining between the two that strengthens and reaffirms this covenant. Abraham seems to bargain with God, and God withAbraham, in multiple occasions. For instance,Abraham tells God tha
More Less

Related notes for HONR 1101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit