Boston College (3,500)
HONR 1101 (27)
All (26)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston College
Honors Program
HONR 1101

Emily McClure Clouds – Aristophanes Aristophanes’play is satirical in many ways, but I think Clouds mainly seems to be targeting the revolutionary social and intellectual/educational changes. Specifically, Aristophanes focuses on the controversy between old traditions ofAthens and the new traditions of the sophists. In the play, the sophists and their new traditions are represented by the “Thinkery”. The old traditions are portrayed by the “BetterArgument” and also by the Clouds, although I didn’t truly know or understand the motives of the Clouds until the end. Aristophanes uses this play to question and even mock both the old and the new values in Athens. When Better and Worse argue it serves to show the strengths and weaknesses of both sets of values. For example, BetterArgument supports his case by pointing to its success in the past: “Isn’t that precisely how / my generation’s education / bred the men of Marathon?” (IX, 985-987). He refers to one of their most glorious victories achieved by the Athenian men of tradition values. On the other hand, when WorseArgument beats Better Argument it demonstrates the weakness and the growing disinterest in the traditional values.Aristophanes similarly shows the pros and cons of WorseArgument. By beating the Better, Worse proves his strength and confidence. Contrastingly,Aristophanes mocks the new educational beliefs by displaying the absurd learning process and intellectual research that is done in the Thinkery. For example, the Pupil tells Strepsiades about their latest intellectual discovery: gnats producing the humming sound by farting (real mature,Aristophanes). The pupil eagerly retells, “He [Socrates] said the gnat has a very narrow gut, / and, since the gut’s so tiny, the air comes through / quite violently on its way to the little rump” (II, 160-162). Not only did I find this comical (if only for its ridiculousness), but it also is critical in setting the tone for the perspective of th
More Less

Related notes for HONR 1101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.