MGMT1021 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Motivation

75 views2 pages

Document Summary

Session 15: motivating through job design: underlying theories of job design, mccelland"s three needs theory a. i. The drive to excel, to achieve in relation to a set of standards, to strive to succeed. The need to make others behave in a way they would not have behaved otherwise. The desire for friendly and close interpersonal relationships a. ii. These needs are found to varying degrees in all workers/managers a. ii. 2. This mix of motivational needs characterizes a person"s motivational style a. ii. 3. Motivation is similar to a personality characteristic that can be uncovered using psychological tests a. iii. Focuses on needs particularly relevant to the workplace. Somewhat simplistic association between certain types and job success (npow: good management, nach: sales: goal-setting theory b. i. Intentions and the process of achieving those intentions, motivate us b. i. 1. a. Intentions must be specific, measureable and challenging b. i. 1. b. Intentions (rather than basic needs) drive motivation b. iii. Curvilinear effect of challenge (challenge is good, impossible is demotivating) b. iv. 3.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers