CommunityService.docx

3 Pages

Department
Marketing
Course Code
MKTG 3170
Professor
Donald James

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
Management & Entrepreneurship Professor Bonnevie and Professor Ellis 30 November 2013 While working at the Greater Boston Food Bank was both a rewarding and eye opening experience, I believe the Food Bank can make some improvements to even better achieve its goals. First off, one practice that seems to put a lot of food in the trash rather than on peoples’ tables is throwing away pre-opened food. I understand that running the risk of negatively affecting the recipients of the food is not worth it, but some sort of test or relatively simple machine could be utilized to test the contents of the open containers. If something simple were developed to test opened food for edibility, a larger amount of food would be reaching the hungry population.An idea would be for a small machine to be created that could test for the chemical compounds within open containers.Anything that provided irregular results could be deemed inedible.Asimpler, most likely more cost-effective system would be the use of paper such as that used in scientific labs with DNAanalysis.Apaper that can be placed in a sample of an open product and can tell of any irregular components in the product would distribute more food to the hungry population. Another thing I think could increase the output of food to the hungry population would be distributing the almost-expired foods to more local places where they will be taken up more quickly. If almost-expired food were brought directly from the food bank to local food pantries, they would have a better chance of being picked up before they reach their expiration dates. Even if they do reach their expiration dates before getting to a family, it is better to try multiple options instead of throwing them away at first glance. Certain volunteers could be delegated to make piles of such foods and prepare for them to be brought directly to local Boston food pantries or soup kitchens. Both issues I have so far addressed may help distribute more food, but they do not address the root of the hunger proble
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit