Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1070
Professor
Marina Denischik
Semester
Spring

Description
Dam 1 Thien Dam PL071 Denischik 2/22/13 Descartes Reflection Paper "The first was never to accept anything for true which I did not clearly know to be such; that is to say, carefully to avoid precipitancy and prejudice, and to comprise nothing more in my judgment than what was presented to my mind so clearly and distinctly as to exclude all ground of doubt” (Descartes, 1637). Written in the book Discourse on Method, this quote is the start of Descartes’ introduction to his first precept. It is also a start to a beginning where his teaching might get a bit confused with the maxims he will mention later in the book. With a focus on Descartes’ first precept and his first maxim, one will be able to come up with a reasonable explanation to the confusion he brings about in the book. Descartes’s first precept explains the idea that one should never assert or accept anything in the world as being truthful if it is not clear.An example is if a person claims that he or she saw an alien walking around the town. One should not go about their day believing that there really is an alien around them. On the other hand, a person should only accept truth if the idea is clear in terms of being able to be backed up by evidence. An example of believing something as being true would be an encounter or a picture taken of the alien along with DNA testing showing that the thing is legitimately of alien-root. Dam 2 Descartes’ first maxim plays somewhat of a shifting focus compared to his first precept. In his first maxim, Descartes’states that one should obey the laws and customs of one’s nation as well as his or her religion. Furthermore, one should also adhere to the moderate opinions accepted by the most sensible people of their nation. He explains that by following this maxim, one will find it easier to be guided through the lifestyle of his or her nation. Although Descartes’ first maxim may bring about a better lifestyle for others, one will have to question about how to
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1070

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit