Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1070
Professor
Robert Mc Gill
Semester
Fall

Description
Poly Sci 10/29/2013 Fromm ­ If I can’t determine on my own what I do, I should just live and let stuff be. ­ Gave easy way to communism/facism/etc. Freud ­ Began to apply his ideas to politics ­ Two opposing forces Eros & death (creates tension) ­ Civil society exists because people learn to sublimate their natural (animalistic, aggressive) instincts  ­ Must break the back of natural man to force him to abide by certain rules ­ The tension of life and death comes from the force to sublimate their instincts ­ Instincts are a type of energy, so when repressed it will come out at some point in a perhaps weird or  violent way ­ We stage war because of the repressed instincts, which is “okay” because they are different/the  other/weirdos ­ Freud was psychiatrist (neurotics) and in beginning days of practice, he noticed his patients weren’t much  different than “normal” people save for one little odd thing ­ “The mental processes of neurotics were similar to that of children.” (MQ) ­ In clinical work, neuroses were found to be distorted way of dealing with things. ­ Normal people find ways to deal with tension in a socially acceptable way, but neurotics are incapable of  doing so. ­ Neurotics’ tension was greater than that of a normal person ­ Ordinary slips of the tongue (e.g. sex instead of six, tension coming out because sexual desire is  repressed, ordinary forgetting of names/events) ­ Led Freud to study dreams ­ Shouldn’t study what people ought  to do, but rather study what they actually do through simple  observation. ­ “People behave in certain ways because of all kinds of unconscious drives and urges: repression,  sublimations, displacements, and training and commissioning that begins in infancy.” ­ At higher levels, political systems exist in antagonism. ­ The superego is the price we pay for living in society, the price that comes with preserving law and order  in civilization ­ Three branches of personality Id – basic instinctual parts of the personality (aggression, sex, hunger, sleep, territorialism) Pleasure Principle  – engaged by ridding ourselves of tension by satiating one of the desires (get  hungry, feel tension, find f
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1070

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit