Philosophy 10-23-13.docx

6 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 1070
Professor
Robert Mc Gill

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Description
Philosophy 10/23/2013 Plato’s    heaetetus   ­ Socrates & Theaetetus inquire into the definition of KNOWLEDGE Theaetetus proposes several definitions Socrates analyzes and rejects each The dialogue ends in a state of confusion The dialogue shows us what knowledge is NOT  Image of intellectual   midwifery  Like a midwife who is herself without child, Socrates goes about the town trying to help others give a  successful birth (to truth). With the aid of Socrates’ questions, Theaetetus will try to bring forth – from within himself – a correct idea of  the nature of knowledge. The Interlocutors: Theaetetus and Eudoxus are renowned mathematicians, held to be the greatest in Greece. So, it’s no surprise that the geometrical model of knowledge will be prominent in the dialogue. 1   Attempt: Knowledge is  geometry and the crafts   Socrates’ reply This is a list of the objects of knowledge. What we want is a definition of knowledge itself. Want to discover a “single character” that “runs through” all the particular instances of knowledge.  2     Attempt: Knowledge is   perception  We know things when we are looking at them, feeling them, hearing them, etc. Socrates’ reply Perceptions are relative to the individual who is perceiving. E.g. Water might feel cold to someone whose hands are warm, and feel warm to someone whose hands  are cold. E.g. Wine tastes sweet when we are well, and sour when ill. But, how things ARE is not relative to persons. So, knowledge does not reside in our sense impressions. We gain knowledge by reflecting upon those impressions. Perception and knowledge cannot be the same. The critique of perception has indicated that knowledge requires more than sensation. It is not so much what affects the senses as what goes on in the mind. So, it is not so much perception as judgment that yields knowledge. rd  3     Attempt: Knowledge is   true judgment  Socrates’ reply What about false judgment? How can I tell when my judgments are true? There is no criterion for distinguishing true judgments from false judgments. How am I to recognize and distinguish a piece of knowledge from a 
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit