Philosophy 10-28.docx

5 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 1070
Professor
Robert Mc Gill

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Description
Philosophy 10/28/2013 Recap Meditation 1: Apply the method of doubt in order to find something certain = indubitable. Give the Evil Genius hypothesis, it seems that NOTHING is certain. Meditation 2: What survives the evil genius hypothesis? Seeking an Archimedean Point I.e. Something to stand on, a starting place The Law of the Lever: Give me one solid point to stand on, and I will move the world. One indubitable certainty to ground the rest. Assume an Evil Genius: Is it certain, then, that the Evil Genius exists? No – I could be deceiving myself. “Am I not then at leastsomething ?” So long as I am thinking/doubting, I must exist! If I am being deceived, I must exist. The evil genius “will never bring it about that I am nothing so long as I shall think I am something.” Cogito ergo sum = “I think, therefore I am” “This pronouncement ‘I am, I exist’ is necessarily true every time I utter it or conceive it in my mind.” That “I exist” must be true every time I think it. The attempt to doubt is logically self­defeating . If I am thinking/doubting/being deceived, then there must be something that thinks/doubts/is  deceived. It i self­evident  that “I think, therefore I am.” Cogito = The Archimedean Point I am certain that “I exist” – it is self­evident But, what am I?
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit