Philosophy
Course
PHIL 5584
Professor
Peter Kreeft
Semester
Fall

Description
I. Introduction 1. Gift Love: man gives for his family 2. Need Love: child for his mother’s arms Divine love is more like Gift Love Our love is more like Need Love Nearness to God 1) Likeness to God (made in His image) 2) Nearness of approach (our paths are approaching his) II. Likings and Lovings for the Sub-Human -pleasures (preceded by desire and pleasure in own right) -nature gave the word glory a meaning for me → does not define but helps use utilize the definition -patriotism -love of home -love of country’s past -firm belief that our nation is the best -we are superior beings -loves because of merits III. Affection (storge) -based on familiarity -modest -accompanies other loves -can love the unattracted (compared to God loving the unlovable) -includes both Need-Love and Gift-Love -is threatened by Change -proper aim of giving is to independencinize the recipient → must work towards its own abdication -danger: ravenous need to be needed IV. Friendship (philia) -devalued because few experience it -allows for something within someone that only somebody else can bring out -must have an object (that which to gaze on) -companionship is only the matrix of Friendship -seek for more company (co
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 5584

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit