• Think about liberal constitutions today
o Set of foundational rules that structure/set up the government and public
authorities and limit the government
Architecture of fundamental ground rules of society
• Focus on constitutional interpretation
o Want to know whether a behavior is constitutional or not, so you apply
fundamentals to a case and make a judgment
• Constitutional Design = question of how to build a structure/constitutional architecture
o How do you know if you have a well-designed constitution or not?
Longevity - stability
Balance of power
Definition of powers – precision, perfect mixture of clarity and ambiguity
Means of change
o Failure = war…your fundamental ground rules didn’t work
• Want to establish a more perfect union, essentially
o Want peace, defense, promote the general welfare, freedom
• Once you have a constitution, how do you know what it means?
• Barack Obama wants military strike against Syria
o If he didn’t as Congress, would it be unconstitional?
Look at text
• Says that he is commander in chief of armed forces •