Boston College (3,489)
POLI 2608 (6)

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston College
Political Science
POLI 2608
John Makransky

DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE AND INTERNATIONAL  RELATIONS Posc 150  TRENDS IN AMERICAN POLITICS AND GOVERNMENT  I. CONTENTS: 1. Overview of course administration 2. Issues inAmerican government and politics II. THE COURSE: 1. What you absolutely must do. 1. Read the syllabus carefully. 2. Attend class regularly 3. Subscribe to the New York Times (or at least keep up with current events). 4. Meet deadlines 2. Class periods are devoted interpretations ofAmerican government and politics. 1. It is not a systematic review of the parts ofAmerican government. C. Readings: 1. Main “texts”: i. Elizabeth Drew, The Corruption ofAmerican Politics ii. Robert Heilbroner and Lester Thurow, Economics Explained iii. Web readings in the “Cyber Reserve Room” 2. Independent reading: i. Robert Tucker, May God Have Mercy ii. The New York Times 3. You’ll always be told where to be in the reading. D. Current Events 1. Please! Purchase a subscription to the New York Times from the Newsstand on Main Street. (Near Rainbow Records.) E. Web site and e-mail. 1. If you don’t pick up something, lose it, or just want a copy get it at 2. Review questions are not included. You have to come to class for those. III. ISSUES IN AMERICAN POLITICS AND GOVERNMENT 1. ä The role of government in society. 1. How much government is necessary and desirable. 2. September 11 and recent elections 2. ä Building and maintaining democracy. 1. èDemocracy means government “by” the people. i. People in general, not just some of them, must be able to make Posc 150  Class 1 ­ Trends in American Po
More Less

Related notes for POLI 2608

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.