Notes_9.docx

3 Pages

Department
Political Science
Course Code
POLI 2608
Professor
John Makransky

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE AND INTERNATIONAL  RELATIONS Posc 150  THE MASS MEDIA AND POLITICS (Part I)  I. CONTENTS: 1. Finish discussing the constitutional context ofAmerican politics 2. Film, “Illusion of News” that starts the discussion of the media. II. WHAT THE CONSTITUTION DOES: 1. èCreates a republic. 2. èTries to control political power and social power exerted through government. 3. èCreates a presidential system 1. Ours differs from a parliamentary or unified government. D.A“moat” around “representatives” 1. The electoral college and the indirect election of the president.âFragmentation of power and the shattered sword: 1.T Separation of powers: three semi-autonomous branches i.Article 1: The Congress 1) Bicameral legislature - two houses of Congress ii. Article 2: The President iii. Article 3:An independent judiciary 1) TJudicial review 1. a) The Supreme Court has extraordinary power. 2. b) Marbury Vs Madison 2.T Checks and balances (e.g., veto, advise and consent, tax legislation, etc.) i. Impeachment 3. T Federalism i. National and state governments. ii. Enumeration of specific powers; others left to the states. iii. The Bill of Rights: restraints on national government. 1. 1) Incorporation controversy 2. 2) Recall the discussion of the FourthAmendment. 4. T Independent constituencies i. Members of different branches have different “bosses” they need to listen to. 5.T Geographical representation 6. èMadison’s extended republic 1. Pit interest against interest 2. See Federalist Paper No. 10 7. Assessment: 1. Advantages Posc 150  Class 9 ­ The Mass Media Part I Page 2  2. i. ii. iii. Disadvantages III. AVIEWERS GUIDE A. Read on your own. i. ii. iii. iv. v. âHinders accountability Delays, even prevents collective action. Thwarts majority rule. âRewards or gives advantage to those with most resources. May not be adaptable. Gradual change. Protection of rights. Flexibility: it has adapted to changing circumstances, maybe. TO “ILLUSIONS OF NEWS”: B. Overview: 1. The film illustrates how politicians “coopt” (form unholy alliances) with the people they cover. i. It shows, for example, how candidates use the media to their (the candidates) advantage. 2. Lots of important events and problems occur and persist. 3. But surprisingly many are hardly mentioned in election campaigns an
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit