Sociology
Course
SOCY 1089
Professor
Sharlene Hesse- Biber
Semester
Fall

Description
SC089.01 (11.21.2013) The Social Construction of “Wild” – Book Review Day 1. Transformation of Thought a. P.111: Flashback to former self­concept with regard to her appearance,  sexuality, and where those two intertwined  b. P. 164: A new understanding of herself and her body (and its irrelevance,  in some sense) 2. Sexuality: Looking in the mirror and seeing herself a. After meeting men, she sometimes reverted to how she had criticized  herself—but she grew through this 3. Emphasis on breaking out of silo a. Ex: Open about sexuality (even about masturbation) No personal maintenance Being “one of the guys” p. 186: In the car w/ Lou: “If more women did that, we’d be better  off. 4. Losing her boot—Having to walk with cheap sandals and being able to a. Using her body to empower herself i. Her ability to carry Monster b. P.208: Feeling taller than the trees—conquering nature i. The trailer becomes a living thing—trail teachers her 5. p.127: Meets another female on trail who tells her about the feather a. A corvid—a symbol of the void i. A good thing—a place where things are born, where things begin,  which is symbolic of her whole journey ii. Biblical allusions, tests of faith iii. Fall from grade  ▯redemption, etc.  6. p. 286: The two bow­hunters: one comes back for her a. Reality check: This man still has basic power over her, despite all her  empowerment 7. Bearing the unbearable: Amazed that all she needed could be carried on her back  AND that she could carry it—symbolic of taking control of her burden  (personified as Monster) 8. p. 285: The bow­hunters: Objectifying her and reducing her to somebody’s  girlfriend who can be allowed or NOT allowed to do something by a man, her  body was reduced to soft curves, “just the kind I like”—as if her body is their to  define 9. “I had to change. I had to change.” a. Not into someone new, but to someone she used to be b. Also: Very off­handed reference t
More Less

Related notes for SOCY 1089

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit