Sociology
Course
SOCY 3391
Professor
svetelj
Semester
Fall

Description
1 1. The Glass Ceiling and the Glass Escalator/Elevator a. The Glass Ceiling effect is the invisible institutional barrier based on  attitudinal or organization bias, that prevents qualified and deserving  people from advancing upward to top management­level positions in their  organization. i. These barriers exist because of prejudice on the basis of sex, age,  political or religious affiliation, weight­based appearance norms, or  potentially devalued attributes or characteristics. ii. This exists in many occupations and professions. 1. For example, the glass ceiling prevents female surgeons  from attaining full professorships at medical schools  throughout the United States. b. The upward movement of men in “women’s professions” is called The  Glass Elevator effect. i. Men struggle to remain in the lower “feminine” levels of their  professions. ii. On an elevator, a person has to do even less to physically “move  up” 2. The Double Shift a. Women with dual responsibilities as wage earners and unpaid household  workers work “the second shift”. i. Some refer to this problem as double­shift stress syndrome. ii. More and more women are becom
More Less

Related notes for SOCY 3391

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit