Theology
Course
THEO 1001
Professor
Bruce Morrison
Semester
Spring

Description
10/11/12 Gilgamesh cont. 1. Enkidu = humanity a. Clothes, food, sexuality, etc. 2. Tablet VII: Gilgamesh tells Enkidu of the dream he has a. One of the people who struck down the tree in Cedar Forest will die b. Gilgamesh was the one who cut it down, he is chosen to die by the gods c. Instead, another god tells them that Enkidu should die. i. Is it just? ii. Parallel with Enuma Elish b/c of Kingu d. Shamash is god of justice, says Enkidu is innocent i. Never resting, always active, like Gilgamesh ii. Gilgamesh is also active like him b/c he is descended from sun god iii. Shamash, god of truth, says the votary that brought Enkidu to  civilization did a good deed despite popular belief that she  corrupted him with humanity iv. Enkidu agrees that his transformation by the votary was a good  thing – human condition is perceived as a good thing 3. Enkidu dies after suffering for days a. Gilgamesh is grief­stricken 4. Gilgamesh’s adventure begins a. Enkidu’s death sends him off b. Laments death as the end of human life c. Goes into the wild, past the walls of Uruk and steppe i. Before, all he wanted was his name to be known after his death,  but now sees reality from Enkidu’s death ii. Enkidu was stronger than him too iii. Now really wants physical immortality d. Wants to go to Utnapishtim  i. Aka the Babylonian Noah, the person who survived the flood ii. Also the only human being to ever have become immortal iii. Gilgamesh wants to learn how he can also become immortal e. Arrives at Mt. Mashu, the mountain that watches over sunrise and sunset i. E
More Less

Related notes for THEO 1001

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit