Theatre
Course
THTR 1120
Professor
Cam
Semester
Fall

Description
Dance Journal Week 2 9/17 Response This week we had two articles in MHDC to read; “Imagining Dance,” and “Five Premises for a Culturally SensitiveApproach to Dance,” and overall, a lot of the descriptions in both articles went over my head. I understood the themes that the articles were trying to express, however; the authors of each article continually refer to terms that, as an untrained and inexperienced dancer, I have absolutely no idea what they are. For example, in “Imagining Dance” the author, Joan Acocella, refers to the ballet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, as if the reader should have already seen it twenty times. Just in case, our memory is a bit hazy, she does explain the dance, in detail, using phrases like, “second position on point,” and “performs one soft beat with her feet”. I have absolutely no idea what those phrases mean, so instead of having a clear picture of what was going on, I just glazed over the words and read on. I understood her main point of describing the ballet, that dance is not a portrayal of the way we live, but a force, or energy like a song (a point, which I might add, I disagree with to some extent). However, I think the main message was a bit lost in the extensive translation that was her description of the ballet itself. If she had tuned her article more toward the audience reading it (inexperienced dancers) I think she could have been more effective in conveying her message without getting the reader lost in the dance jargon. Lastly, I did disagree with her argument that dance is not a portrayal of the way we live. I think dance can be a portrayal of the way we live, or the way we feel within our lives. We can express things like, the monotony of our lives, the joyfulness that is felt at a birth or a marriage of a love one, through dance. I liked the “Five Premises for a Culturally SensitiveApproach to Dance” article much more than the first article. The premise I like the most, and could relate to the strongest, was the first premise: movement knowledge is a kind of cultural knowledge. I see this as being extremely true. The example that popped into my mind while I was reading was how different people walk differently (like that fun exercise we did in class last week). Being from New England, yet coming down to Virginia for school where I have also come in contact with lots of students from the south, I do in fact even notice a difference in walk between these two cultures of students. While I notice that myself (and any other “northern” friends I have) tend to walk very downward (looking at the ground) and briskly, my southern friends tend to be more upright, and walk with a more leisurely stride. Week 2 9/17 Reflection Although my future journals will probably give a more generalized description of the changes my body is undergoing outside (and as a result of) dance class, I am dedicating this reflection solely to injury I have in my left arm and the observations I made about it because of critical thinking techniques we learned this week in dance class. On the morning of 9/15 I awoke with a tingly, and numbing feeling in my left arm, sort of like when a limb “falls asleep,” but with a little more pain. After going to my field hockey trainer about it, she concluded I have a “pinched” nerve in my rhomboideus-shoulder region due to tense and overworked shoulder muscles. Because of the constant tingle in my arm, I felt hyper-aware of the left side of my body all day. While walking to class at one point, I could almost feel the person walking slightly behind and to the left of me. While heating my shoulder and doing
More Less

Related notes for THTR 1120

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit