Fall 2017

Department
Earth And Planetary Science
Course Code
EPS 7
Professor
David Romps
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Lecture 33
Solar power: ready to save the day?
1. Sio2 O2 + Si in a furnace
2. To make a thin wafer of silicon, first melt the silicon chunks
3. Then either let the liquid freeze in the container, (polycrystalline silicon)
- Close up of a polycrystalline PV panel
4. Or grow a single crystal out of the melt
- Silicon ingot, a single crystal that can be sliced to make wafers
1) Thin film
2) Mono silicon
3) Polysilicon
Solar cells, also known as photovoltaic cells, or PV cells, convert sunlight directly to
electricity
A light-emitting diode (LED) can convert light to electricity
LED and PV work on the z same principle
There is a layer of silicon connected to wires and that layer forces electrons to move
one way only
Recall that Earth’s TSI is 1360 W/m2
But, due to absorption and scattering, average isolation at the ground is roughly 1000
W/m2
That is 1000 W/m2 facing the Sun.
- High latitudes get less sunlight per ground area
But we can just tilt the PV panels
Tilting PV panels gets more power per panel area, but does not get more power per
land area
Factoring in everything: about 100-200 W/m2 at the surface
Let us call 150 W/m2 a typical solar flux at the surface
How much energy could be made if we covered all land in PV
With what efficiency does PV convert this to electricity?
Let us call 20% a typical PV efficiency
Solar flux at surface: 150 W/m2
Efficiency of PV = 20%
150 W/m2 x 20% = 30 W/m2
Land area = 150 trillion m2
30 W/m2 x 150 trillion m2 = 4500 TW
ENORMOUS!!
How much area of PV is needed to meet all future needs?
We have two numbers:
60 TW and 30 W/m2
(60 TW) / (30 W/m2) = 2 T m2 = 2 trillion m2
Remember, total land is 150 trillion m2
So we need about 1% of the Earth’s land area
Needed: 60 TW
Max from wind, hydro and biomass
Solar PV on 1% of the land: 60 TW
Area of Mexico: 2 trillion m2
Is it sufficient to have PV on our roofs?
What is the area of a house’s roof?
a. 1 m2 1x1 size of a table
b. 10 m2 3x3 size of a shed

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 33 Solar power: ready to save the day? 1. Sio2 O2 + Si in a furnace 2. To make a thin wafer of silicon, first melt the silicon chunks 3. Then either let the liquid freeze in the container, (polycrystalline silicon) Close up of a polycrystalline PV panel 4. Or grow a single crystal out of the melt Silicon ingot, a single crystal that can be sliced to make wafers 1) Thin film 2) Mono silicon 3) Polysilicon Solar cells, also known as photovoltaic cells, or PV cells, convert sunlight directly to electricity A lightemitting diode (LED) can convert light to electricity LED and PV work on the z same principle There is a layer of silicon connected to wires and that layer forces electrons to move one way only Recall that Earths TSI is 1360 Wm2 But, due to absorption and scattering, average isolation at the ground is roughly 1000 Wm2 That is 1000 Wm2 facing the Sun. High latitudes get less sunlight per ground area But we can just tilt the PV panels Tilting PV panels gets more power per panel area, but does not get more power per land area Factoring in everything: about 100200 Wm2 at the surface Let us call 150 Wm2 a typical solar flux at the surface How much energy could be made if we covered all land in PV With what efficiency does PV convert this to electricity? Let us call 20 a typical PV efficiency Solar flux at surface: 150 Wm2 Efficiency of PV = 20 150 Wm2 x 20 = 30 Wm2 Land area = 150 trillion m2 30 Wm2 x 150 trillion m2 = 4500 TW ENORMOUS!! How much area of PV is needed to meet all future needs? We have two numbers: 60 TW and 30 Wm2 (60 TW) (30 Wm2) = 2 T m2 = 2 trillion m2 Remember, total land is 150 trillion m2 So we need about 1 of the Earths land area Needed: 60 TW Max from wind, hydro and biomass Solar PV on 1 of the land: 60 TW Area of Mexico: 2 trillion m2 Is it sufficient to have PV on our roofs? What is the area of a houses roof? a. 1 m2 1x1 size of a table b. 10 m2 3x3 size of a shed
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit