UGIS 112 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Phocomelia, Intersectionality, Morning Sickness

49 views2 pages

Document Summary

Eugenics, reproductive rights and parenting: announcements a) Contracted polio at age 3: book separated to before-son and after-son b. i) fears when treated for polio due to birth complications with son b. ii) Effects of having a child as a disabled person: central issues c. i) medical model of disability (c. i. 1) Receiving treatment and losing autonomy over body as a kid (c. i. 1. a) Internalized oppression does not feel she owns her body (c. i. 2) Negative stereotypes that babies with disabilities should be aborted (c. ii. 1. a. i) or mother should kill herself before having the child c. iii) Normative language that leaves disability as abnormal (c. iii. 1. a) Internalized oppression finger feels guilty that mark will be pitied for being around people with disabilities c. iv) motherhood (c. iv. 1) Deals with theoretical issues she debated with when she was certain her baby would be healthy knows internalized oppression: power dynamics, between provider of care and recipient b) a. i) parent-child relationship a. ii) doctor-patient relationship.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers