Premium

2 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHILOS 125
Professor
Lee

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
1 Ryan Light th Sunday 18 September, 2016 Metaphysics 8 A possible world is something like a worldbook { something that describes to the very last details everything that is true of the world. Something is necessarily true if it is true in every world. Something is possibly true if it is true in some world. Epistemic vs. Metaphysical Possibility Tom Hanks might be an Alien Tom Hanks is human, but he might have been an alien. Having a debate about the actual world. ‘For all I know, Tom Hanks is an alien.’ Not discussion about how things actually are. British people use ‘might’ more than ‘could.’ Water = H O2 Mohammad Ali = Cassius Clay. Kripke thinks that these are necessary truths. But you could truly say ‘water might not be H O’ e2en if it is true that water is necessarily H O. 2 What is the subject matter of ‘possibility’? Framework of possible worlds doesn’t really help this question. For, ‘what are possible worlds?’ Modal Realism: Not only are there things that are possible worlds, they are concrete entities (just as our physical universe is a concrete entity) and exist in the same manner as our world. Main Aspects of Lewis: (1) Possible worlds exist. (2) Same kind as actual world. (3) Causally isolated. (4) Indexical analysis of actually. (5) Counterpart theory for de re modality. There’s no way to causally interact with them, so why should we say that they exist? Lewis’s argument. (1) Possible worlds exist. (2) Every alternative to taking possible worlds as concrete entities is fatally awed. (3) Therefore, modal realism is true: the actual world is just one of a plethora of concrete possible worlds. Metaphysics 9 ‘Actually’ as an indexical Indexicals: I, here, now Represent self-locating information. Talk about the actual universe restricts attention to this universe (that we occupy). ‘Actually’ means ‘in the possible world where I am located’. Stalnaker’s Objection: Possible worlds are ways for a world to be. They are therefore something abstract like properties, rather than concrete individuals. The knowledge objection: If possible worlds are spatiotemporally and causally isolated from the actual world, how could we know anything about them? The objection from morality: If modal realism is true, it is impossible t
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit