Spring 2016

Department
Political Science
Course Code
PLSC 115
Professor
All
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Hobbes/Securing Peace (Exam 3)
Wednesday, March 16, 2016
1:12 PM
John Locke
Thomas Hobbes- moving into modern times- relationship between the ruled and the ruler- important to
determine terms- accumulating data and making judgments
3 Contracts-
Locke- Fiduciary Trust- certain individuals to see that trust (see that my wishes are carried out for the life
of that trust)- create trust for us- board members to oversee the trust- government doesn't exist before
(????)
Goeret does’t eist i aarh- canot hae a agreeet ith soeoe that has’t ee or-
government is an artificial creation- give up certain things to get other things-
Hobbes- Social (not part of the leviathan- creation of people- not b/w the people and the government-
just b/w people)
Leviathan enforces contract (must obey completely-may change mind but its only our mind/self-nature
talking)- our agreement with each other- two people come together and both want something- make a
contract (sort of like a negotiation/agreement)
By nature- e do’t pla ie- friction- e do’t like eah other ut are fored to lie together
Rousseau (Swiss)- Social- between people, enforced by people, they are the government- direct
democracy- thinks we love each other a lot but are jealous of each other
Hobbes afraid of violent death- peace and security- whatever it took
Government in the leviathan can be one person or a few people or a country
Preferred monarchy
Aod that roke the otrat are i jail ell ost…
Being born and maintained in the country- silently sign the contract)
Hoes did’t look istailit- went thru 2 civil wars- Catholics v. Protestants
Trying to make sense of his world- without government (w/ anarchy) going to be an even worse- cont.
conflict and people taking what others have
By nature- restless- we want and will do anything to get it
Every has same opportunity to do all the good and the bad (can't be bad because a lot of people are
going to be bad- just as bad/evil)
Ability to reason is what brings us to government- only thing that saves us
Government cannot be a part of the trust- would not be able to break the contract (????)
You are allowed to confront leviathan until self-preseratio…?
Human nature- isolated psychologically from each other (instinct for survival- make sure we survive at
any cost- can't become too concerned with others- orkig toards surialdo’t get alog ith other
people- friction/not all the same/diff abilities
Selfish- want things- when we get them, protect them
Soiet that’s disordered- try to work it back- do what we need to do to get what we need to do- get
back to hierarchy- equal in liberty (freedom to do what we want)
Wet nurse- hire someone to nurse baby- if not rich, family and friends- nurse for a while- many babies
used to die because they didn't have milk- creates certain domination because the male is free from the
child- does’t hae phsial oetio ith father- survival of child relies with mother and mother is
vulnerable so male becomes dominant
Justifies male domination- women are still in Hobbes' mind not free- if oa does’t hae a a,
woman is equal- once you were have children- male is dominant
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Hobbes/Securing Peace (Exam 3) Wednesday, March 16, 2016 1:12 PM John Locke Thomas Hobbes- moving into modern times- relationship between the ruled and the ruler- important to determine terms- accumulating data and making judgments 3 Contracts- Locke- Fiduciary Trust- certain individuals to see that trust (see that my wishes are carried out for the life of that trust)- create trust for us- board members to oversee the trust- government doesn't exist before (????) Government doesnt exist in anarchy- cannot have an agreement with someone that hasnt been born- government is an artificial creation- give up certain things to get other things- Hobbes- Social (not part of the leviathan- creation of people- not b/w the people and the government- just b/w people) Leviathan enforces contract (must obey completely-may change mind but its only our mind/self-nature talking)- our agreement with each other- two people come together and both want something- make a contract (sort of like a negotiation/agreement) By nature- we dont play nice- friction- we dont like each other but are forced to live together Rousseau (Swiss)- Social- between people, enforced by people, they are the government- direct democracy- thinks we love each other a lot but are jealous of each other Hobbes afraid of violent death- peace and security- whatever it took Government in the leviathan can be one person or a few people or a country Preferred monarchy Anybody that broke the contract are in jail (well most) Being born and maintained in the country- silently sign the contract) Hobbes didnt look instability- went thru 2 civil wars- Catholics v. Protestants Trying to make sense of his world- without government (w/ anarchy) going to be an even worse- cont. conflict and people taking what others have By nature- restless- we want and will do anything to get it Every has same opportunity to do all the good and the bad (can't be bad because a lot of people are going to be bad- just as bad/evil) Ability to reason is what brings us to government- only thing that saves us Government cannot be a part of the trust- would not be able to break the contract (????) You are allowed to confront leviathan until self-preservation? Human nature- isolated psychologically from each other (instinct for survival- make sure we survive at any cost- can't become too concerned with others- working towards survival)dont get along with other people- friction/not all the same/diff abilities Selfish- want things- when we get them, protect them Society thats disordered- try to work it back- do what we need to do to get what we need to do- get back to hierarchy- equal in liberty (freedom to do what we want) Wet nurse- hire someone to nurse baby- if not rich, family and friends- nurse for a while- many babies used to die because they didn't have milk- creates certain domination because the male is free from the child- doesnt have physical connection with father- survival of child relies with mother and mother is vulnerable so male becomes dominant Justifies male domination- women are still in Hobbes' mind not free- if woman doesnt have a baby, woman is equal- once you were have children- male is dominant Coming into a family or making a family- loses her equality Stay single (woman)- just as equal Always been this way so they will always be that way- part of nature Agree to obey even if we dont agree- even it hurts us- we have to obey- stay with the majority (obey) Laws keep us on the right path- prevents us from reverting back to our instinctive nature- forces us to be a calm community Always someone with an advantage- not on the same playing field- disadvantaging someone else- social contract- government has more power/influence over what we do- we have lost a lot of power- idea of protection/dominance justifies the ability to exclude groups- inequality=jealo
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit