Premium

4 Pages

Department
International Relations
Course Code
CAS IR 365
Professor
Min Ye

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Lecture 13: Shaping China’s Choices
The Soviet Collapse and China’s Rise, 1991-2000
The record of managing rising China in the post-Cold War era: more success than failure, more
cooperation than conflict, more coordination than discord
Worrisome trends: China insecure at home, more belligerent toward neighbors; the US asked
China to do more
George H. W. Bush: Tiananmen and the End of Cold War
Background: Soviet Gorbachev reform → exploding democracy inside China
Tiananmen crackdown and economic sanction of China
Chinese narrative: “peaceful evolution,” new authoritarianism
HW: continue embassy and continue economic ties, sent national security advisor for secrete
meetings with Deng Xiaoping--leaked in the press
Most favored nation status
1991: Soviet dissolved; War in the Gulf
Taiwan-US-Mainland
1972 Shanghai Communiqué: “one China”
1979 US-China normalization communiqué: “one China”
1979 TRA: sufficient defensive arms to Taiwan
1982 August 17 Communiqué: reduction of arms sale in quantity and quality
Strategic context: anti-Soviet; honeymoon period
Late 1992, sale of 150 F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan, setting a precedent
Democratization inside China: Lee Tenghui
Challenge for the US: deter China from coercing Taiwan; reassure China US does not support
Taiwan independence
Somalia and Multilateral Intervention
With the end of the Cold War, the US set a new precedent in multilateral intervention in Somalia
out of humanitarian consideration
China reluctantly voted yes, but qualified it as “a unique case”
“Peace-keeping”
Clinton Administration
From threats of sanction to WTO accession
Clinton’s campaign: “butchers in Beijing”
Clinton’s early tenure: threat of MFN rejection each year, “in your-face approach on human rights
in China
“Economic sanction is simply the wrong tool to political liberalization in China” (p.181)
Discord in US-Japan alliance: economic friction
Yin He Incident 1993: suspected sale to Iran
NPT: China signed in 1992
North Korea Crisis
1991 Soviet collapse; 1992 China-South Korea normalization
1993-4: first nuclear crisis
1994 agreed framework
China’s role: “nuanced--but ultimately helpful--role”
2002 nuclear crisis
2003 Six Party Talks
Impact on US security policy:
1. Prioritize security in Asia strategy
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 13: Shaping Chinas Choices The Soviet Collapse and Chinas Rise, 1991-2000 The record of managing rising China in the post-Cold War era: more success than failure, more cooperation than conflict, more coordination than discord Worrisome trends: China insecure at home, more belligerent toward neighbors; the US asked China to do more George H. W. Bush: Tiananmen and the End of Cold War Background: Soviet Gorbachev reform exploding democracy inside China Tiananmen crackdown and economic sanction of China Chinese narrative: peaceful evolution, new authoritarianism HW: continue embassy and continue economic ties, sent national security advisor for secrete meetings with Deng Xiaoping--leaked in the press Most favored nation status 1991: Soviet dissolved; War in the Gulf Taiwan-US-Mainland 1972 Shanghai Communiqu: one China 1979 US-China normalization communiqu: one China 1979 TRA: sufficient defensive arms to Taiwan 1982 August 17 Communiqu: reduction of arms sale in quantity and quality Strategic context: anti-Soviet; honeymoon period Late 1992, sale of 150 F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan, setting a precedent Democratization inside China: Lee Tenghui Challenge for the US: deter China from coercing Taiwan; reassure China US does not support Taiwan independence Somalia and Multilateral Intervention With the end of the Cold War, the US set a new precedent in multilateral intervention in Somalia out of humanitarian consideration China reluctantly voted yes, but qualified it as a unique case Peace-keeping Clinton Administration From threats of sanction to WTO accession Clintons campaign: butchers in Beijing Clintons early tenure: threat of MFN rejection each year, in your-face approach on human rights in China Economic sanction is simply the wrong tool to political liberalization in China (p.181) Discord in US-Japan alliance: economic friction Yin He Incident 1993: suspected sale to Iran NPT: China signed in 1992 North Korea Crisis 1991 Soviet collapse; 1992 China-South Korea normalization 1993-4: first nuclear crisis 1994 agreed framework Chinas role: nuanced--but ultimately helpful--role 2002 nuclear crisis 2003 Six Party Talks Impact on US security policy: 1. Prioritize security in Asia strategy
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit