CAS PO 141 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Richard Neustadt, Bully Pulpit, Divided Government

84 views4 pages

Document Summary

Shows he can use his resources effectively. If there"s a president that goes public too much, it will affect congress" cooperation. Hard for them to bargain together: public discussions tend to harden negotiating decisions. Makes those involved less likely to move their position so bargaining loses effect. Back room deals not in the public light. Sticks: president can threaten to hold back things for the bureaucracy (federal agencies) Easier to reach audiences, better transportation etc. Trial court -> appellate court -> state supreme court. Treaties i. ii: disputes between states, u. s. Constitutional law: u. s. party to suit, citizens of more than one states, appeals from state-level courts. Must take all cases brought to them (i. e. no agenda control) Exercise same powers as supreme court (subject to review by higher courts) Makes judges very insulated and not care about what the public may or may not think. 13 courts of appeal (i. e. curcuit courts) Must take all cases brought to them.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers