Chemistry
Course
CAS CH 131
Professor
Andrei Lapets
Semester
Fall

Description
Experiment #1: Hydrates Purpose: Determine the formula of a hydrate. (Seeing how scientists even come up with a  formula) Hydrate – a salt that is chemically combined with a certain number of water molecules. Typical formula: MB(xH O) 22+ M = metal ion (such as Cu ) 2­ B = counter ion (such as SO )4 x = number of moles of water per mole of salt Need to determine what x is in hydrates. Lab Info ­Work in pairs. ­Don’t remove glasses until out of the room. ­Set up a 600mL beaker as a slop jar for collecting chemical waste including water used  to wash down other objects. Empty the full slop jar into waste container under the hood. I. A. Quantitative analysis ­Wash crucible with soap and water (CAPTURE ALL WASHES IN SLOP JAR) [crucible  WILL be dirty] ­set up apparatus for heating crucible ­tripod with triangle on top ­crucible into triangle ­plug in hose for Bunsen burner ­turn on gas ­use sparker to light burner ­adjust rich to lean ratio to get BLUE flame ­heat crucible for 5 minutes ­turn off gas, remove Bunsen burner ­cool crucible for 5 minutes ­use tongs to pick up crucible into a clean beaker ­take notebook and weigh crucible to two decimals ­REPEAT UNTIL MASS CHANGES BY 0.05g OR LESS ­Use the lowest weight as the actual weight of the crucible I. B. [DO II WHILE I IS GOING ON] ­Place 0.75­2.5 g hydrate in crucible using spatula ­record ID of hydrate ­weigh crucible and hydrate to two decimals ­heat until dehydration is complete (steam disappears, color may change) ­DO NOT OVERHEAT, will only take 1­3 minutes ­cool for 5 minutes ­weigh to 2 decima
More Less

Related notes for CAS CH 131

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit