● Philosophy is shocking.
● Socrates though philosophers should rule.
● Aperson who wins a power struggle is the captain of the ship.
○ They are good at gaining power, but they don’t know how to rule.
● Justice is what the ruling party thinks is advantageous.
● Relativism→ Values are defined by and dependent upon the people who hold those
● Definitions are either too broad or too small.
○ Agood definition is universal→ spans all of the particulars.
■ Particulars come and go, but the definition remains.
● Turning→ a complete change in attitude towards the universal.
○ Your eyes are turned in a different direction as a student.
● Philosophers prefer what is permanent, universal thought.
● The number is the constant factor in all countings.
● The cosmos are fit together musically as a harmony.
● Muses are goddesses of inspiration.
● The soul reflects the ordering of the cosmos.
● Music is mathematics through its various chords.
○ An octave used the ratio 2:1.
● Socrates uses a