United States (313,418)
History (216)

2:10 - Asian Immigration

7 Pages
Unlock Document

Boston University
CAS HI 280
Michael Holm

February 10 th th th Asian Immigration in the Late 19  and Early 20  Century I. Chinese Immigration a. by the end of the 20  century, nativism has become much more of a racial  issue than it was before, particularly in relation to immigration from Asia b. Chinese Exclusion Act, 1882 i. presented in a false light to the public, and leading to a series of  unexpected consequences  ii. has become increasingly clear that the roots of what will become  American immigration policy are in the Chinese Exclusion Act,  since it established precedence for something which had not  existed within the legal system i. legal rationale and language for barring an entire group of  people from the country ii. developed the first administrative organization for doing so iii. after the Civil War, Reconstruction policies were primarily geared  at the integration of African Americans into society i. 14  Amendment and the naturalization clause: “All persons  born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the  jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States…” ii. this establishes for the first time the concept of a national  citizenship c. the postponement of the development and enforcement of  naturalization led to much later contention, due in part to the  growing population of Chinese iv. most Chinese considered themselves “guests” rather than  immigrants, and came to the United States to earn money, not to  settle c. 1868: Burlinggame Treaty i. citizens of either country would have “normal rights”, mutual  advantage of free migration, but no mention of citizenship and  immigrants d. 1869:  i. vast majority of Chinese who worked in California were either on  the railroad or in the mines; the mines were drying up and the  railroad was finished in 1869. ii. pushed about 10,000 Chinese workers onto the labor market, and  the issue of immigration and labor onto the political agenda. e. “yellow peril”  i. fear tactics and media hype and exaggeration in order to get the  public to react against the Chinese ii. southern businessmen tried to get some Chinese to immigrate  south as “indentured” labor to replace the freed slaves; this was  “pitched” in language that described the Chinese as uneducated  and backwards and that working in the South would somehow  repair them f. Charles Sumner i. advocates equality for blacks in the aftermath of the Civil War and  became the leading voice seeking the elimination of “white” as a  requirement for naturalization ii. wanted to make the law “colorblind”  g. Frank Pixley i. fear of Chinese “overrunning” the country if assimilated ii. “This is a question of bringing a new people here, and are we not  planting the seeds of an evil which may develop to our great and  parmanent imagery” iii. no concrete evidence for such a takeover  iv. however, most politicians agreed with Pixley’s anti­naturalization  stance at the end of the day h. Chinese immigration continued to be dominated by men (20x more men  than women immigrated)  i. June, 1870: 75 Chinese workmen were brought from San Francisco to  Massachusetts under contract as strike breakers for a shoe making factory i. this is the moment when organized labor turns against  immigration, and they’ve stayed there pretty much since ii. organized labor had previously argued that voluntary Chinese  immigrants should enjoy rights under the law; by 1870, Chinese  labor’s presence was called an “evil” and should be prevented by  legislation II. The Political Challenge a. 1874: Grant’s State of the Union i. claimed that the majority of Chinese immigrants were brought  involuntarily, and that Chinese women were brought here for  immoral purposes b. 1875: the Page Act i. sought to eliminate the immigration of Asians “without their free  and voluntary consent, for the purpose of holding them to a term of  service” (act says ‘Orientals’ but was principally aimed at the  Chinese) ii. also sought to prohibit the immigration of Chinese prostitutes and  as such became the first attempt to exclude undesirables iii. set up the earliest strict interviews against women entering the  country which were conducted through paperwork at the port of  departure; however the forms were not really effective since no  one answered the questions in a manner that would bar them from  access iv. both political parties thought it imperative that they investigate the  ramifications of “involuntary” Asian immigration i. “the Pacific Coast has to become either American or  Mongolian”  ii. a question of what kind of country we were going to be or  become III. The Law and Its Impact a. 1877: President Hayes agrees with Congress’s concern over Chinese  immigration but vetoed a bill that unilaterally abrogated the 1868  Burlingame Treaty b. 1880: Re­negotation of the Burlingame Treaty  i. gave the U.S. the right to “regulate, limit, or suspend” the “coming  or residence” of Chinese laborers ii. allowed Chinese subjects “proceeding to the Untied States as  teachers, students, merchants, or from curiosity, together with their  body and household servants, and Chinese laborers now in the  United States to go and come of their own free will and accord.’  c. 1882: Congress passed the Chinese Exclusion Act barring Chinese labor  for 20 years; Chester Arthur, thinking this excessive, sends the bill back,  and the number is reduced to 10 years d. The Act: i. prohibited for 10 years the entry of Chinese laborers ii. anybody who entered before 1880 had the right to re­entry upon  departure (1880 because of the renegotiation of Burlingame) iii. all Chinese classified as non­laborers needed a certificate  certifying the purpose of their presence iv. made the importation of Chinese a criminal offence v. one of the implications was that Chinese traveling from China  were excluded, but Chinese coming in from Canada were not i. this is amended shortly thereafter e. Congress was only just getting started i. in 1892, Congress, given the opportunity to revisit the Act, noted  that in the meantime the number of entering Chinese had trickled  to a much lower number ii. Thomas Geary sponsored a ten year extension of the Act which  involved: i. requiring Chinese to obtain certificates of residence and  identity proving their legal status, placing the burden of  proof on the Chinese containing name, age, local residence,  occupation, and photograph: in other words, there is a  presumption of guilt ii. two white residents needed to testify to a Chinese person’s  immig
More Less

Related notes for CAS HI 280

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.