History
Course
CAS HI 338
Professor
Michael Holm
Semester
Spring

Description
February 4   th The Cold War, 1948­1949 I. Aftermath of the Truman Doctrine a. the Truman Doctrine fundamentally altered American foreign policy: the  country had in effect taken on an entirely new role in the world b. attitudes of the American people i. opposed by Wallace and Taft, but by and large they were in the  minority ii. media and politicians alike were incredibly enthusiastic about these  new commitments – “We are face to face with the necessity of  choosing – and accepting the responsibilities that go with that  choice – between slavery and freedom as the foundation of new  world civilization.” (Charles Eaton, R­NJ) iii. Americans had always desired to provide this protection, though  they never went as far as doing so militarily until the 20  century iv. Truman’s language in his announcement has a real geneology in  the history of America, making the whole concept ideologically  easy to align with c. Sec. of Labor came out in favor of an outright ban of the Communist Party  of America, prompting the party to send him thirty dimes as a symbolic  representation of his betrayal of labor values i. while this remains an issue for quite some time, there is always the  problem as to whether it is Constitutional to ban a political party ii. March 21, 1947, Executive Order 9835 (“The Loyalty Order”):  sought to exclude any civilians working for the federal government  who were aligned with the Communist Party and was an attempt to  curb growing criticism from conservatives that Democrats were  “soft on communism” 1. a retroactive law with numerous violations of civil rights 2. largely well­received by the media and upheld by the  Supreme Court, and signaled that the Cold War was truly  underway a. Americans have always been willing to take away  civil liberties in times of war 3. complicated, legally speaking, because of the former status  of the United States and the USSR as allies iii. March 24 : House Committee on Un­American Activities held a  hearing dealing with the issue of Communism in the U.S. 1. former ambassador to the USSR William Bullitt argued  against Communism and compared America’s position to  that of France in 1936 when they failed to act against  militarizing Germany, though he said that an outright  outlawing the Communist party would simply force it  underground II. The X­Article a. “The Sources of Soviet Conduct” appeared in the journal Foreign Affairs  in summer of 1947, comparing the Soviet Union to a force that needs to be  “contained” i. presented an intriguing analysis of Stalin’s foreign policy and a call  to American action ii. Americans as having a historic mission to secure the spread of  liberty and oppose totalitarianism b. became probably the most influential piece published by any government  official during the Cold War c. author proved to be the head of the State Department’s Policy Planning  Staff, George Kennan, the most respected voice on Soviet matters d. it was not Kennan’s intention for this article to be in support of the Truman  Doctrine, as it was written two months before Truman’s announcement –  originally, it was simply a wake up call for the American people III. European Recovery Program a. Americans feared the dire straits of Western Europe would lead to new  totalitarian states and extremism b. Marshall stated in a speech at Harvard that poverty &etc bred despair and  chaos, as had happened to Germany in the interwar years c. aid was extended to the countries of Europe, including the Soviet Union,  though they knew that the USSR would not accept d. the Marshall Plan and the Truman Doctrine laid the groundwork for  Europe’s transformation into an American­led and organized system e. the Republican party divided over this issue: i. Taft opposed, Lodge and Vandenberg supported ii. Lodge very successfully launched on a campaign through speeches  and articles to garner support for these 
More Less

Related notes for CAS HI 338

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit